'You look like you've put on weight'

Options
I went out last night to the local bar, as a band was on and I know a lot of the locals now where I live - on a Friday night everyone usually gets together and has a good old dance.

Anyway, I've been house sitting for my cousin and haven't seen anyone where I live for about 4 weeks or so at least.

Last night one woman said to me, 'I haven't seen you in ages - you look like you've put on weight'. This was after an awful day of shopping for clothes (which I hate) so I was already feeling really self conscious.

AAAAAARGH! I've been trying really hard! Is it me being overly sensitive or am I doing something really wrong as per my diary?! I don't know what to do to lose more weight, feels like I'm going backwards not forwards :(

Help please!

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I really hope you just suck at logging your food, because if you are logging everything you are consistently undereating. If your weight loss has slowed or you don't look as good, that may be why.

Or the woman could just be a passive aggressive ***** and maybe you shouldn't take anything she says to heart. Think about the sort of person who greets another that way... she is not your friend.
  • SconnieGal25
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Don't let her bring you down. You are better than that, and if you worry about a silly comment from someone, then she wins. I know it can be hard, but just have faith in yourself and tiny setbacks like that eventually won't even phase you. :smile:
  • schume89
    schume89 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The mom of a guy I was dating a few years ago asked him if I was pregnant after she hadn't seen me for a few months...Made me feel like crap but it was a wake-up call
  • shane9894
    shane9894 Posts: 23
    Options
    If your log is correct you are not losing because your body is in conservation mode because it thinks your starving. Your being counter-productive by not eating your goal. Is 1200 your recommended goal or just your own personal goal? regardless you should never get less than 1000 calories a day, If you consistently hit that mark you will start to see the weight come off. As weird as it sounds you have to eat to lose weight!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    I really hope you just suck at logging your food, because if you are logging everything you are consistently undereating. If your weight loss has slowed or you don't look as good, that may be why.

^ This... gotta eat more... also, at least the last diary shows a pretty high sodium intake... that's gonna cause you to retain water... drinking more water will help flush that out... watch your salt intake a bit... and knock down those calories!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Ah my logging has sucked a bit due to no internet access, but I'm back home now so it should improve. I am just so gutted! Better up the workouts :(
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    WTH?! Who says that?! What a b*tch!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you look great, don't worry about it. I know that when I get my heart rate up for an extended period of time (20-30 minutes) my face and skin immediately look healthier and I get nice comments from people saying so. It doesn't matter what the exercise is, as long as I'm breathing heavy and my heart rate is up, you could jump in one spot for 20 minutes, do heavy house work, carry gallons of water back in forth in your kitchen, etc. For some reason cardio vascular exercise just makes some people look more healthy/youthful. You could try it?

Hang in there.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WTH?! Who says that?! What a b*tch!

well, yeah, that too.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take that type on comment too seriously, people have strange motives they don't understand themselves for saying things.

I looked at a few days of your food and exercise diary. I don't know how busy a life you are running but I would keep trying to add more exercise to your schedule. When I am work I do it in small increments on coffee/lunch break, running the work errands.....
    Regards to diet, it takes time to change ingrained eating habits. Keep working on substituting whole fruits and vegetables, brown rice, nuts, seeds, beans (not in sauce) for the breads and wheat products. Most wheat now is higher on the glycimic index then table sugar. So it gives you highs and lows and cravings.
    You are off to a great start. We all have things to work on, so don't get discouraged, keep making small changes.
    Celebrate the little goals and ignore those that arnt supportive.