Ever think your body's smarter than you are?

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
Ever think your body's smarter than you are?

Got up this (Monday) morning feeling good. Taught a motorcycle class this weekend, so lotsa hard work walking/moving traffic cones/talking in the 90^ heat. Great weekend, fun fun. Whipped last night, slept like a rock, woke up this morning feeling like a jillion pesos.

So I got up and took the pups out for 5 min, and then I came in an hopped on the elliptical. 30 minutes of that, moving the load around a little, keeping the heart rate right around 150. Good-n-sweaty.

M-W-F mornings I knock out some freeweights. About 1/2 hour. I just bought a little more iron and added about 5 pounds to my dumbbells and this was my first morning with the heavier weight. Felt good - several exercises went to failure. Kewl...

Shower - dress (nothing fits?!) - bowl o'grapenuts out in yard w/dogs, nice morning. Came back in, kissed babygirl g'bye (she leaves for work earlier than I do) and started packing lunch.

Now this weekend we made Carolina BBQ. You take a big cheap pork shoulder and wrap it in alum foil and put it on a broiler pan so it doesn't lay in it's own slop. Put it in a just warm oven - about 180-200 degrees - overnight at least. "Cook until you're sure it's done,,, then 2 more hours".

When it came out my gal separated and shredded the meat. I usually get this done in 10 minutes. She worked on it for nearly an hour - being extremely careful to get rid of every morsel of fat, and shredding the lean meat into a very fine texture. This stuff is really healthy the way she does it.

I make a "finishing sauce" to serve with it. Really powerful stuff. I usually work a little into the meat and then park the bottle on the table and you can add more to taste. Recipe below.

So - anyways, I'm packing my lunch this morning and decide to take a BBQ sandwich. Get out a hamburger bun (bad I know, but I'm just eating one) and load it up with 3 oz's of meat. Sprinkle with sauce, put the top bun on and stuff it into a baggie. Made a bit of a mess - strands of pork everywhere. Whaddaya do?

Ya - - you know what you do. You pick it up and eat it. So I'm standing there still pumped up from the iron, muscles all torn up and just starting to heal the little tears that make ya' big - wide awake and jittery and humming like a radar antenna and just got taste of raw protein. Wow,,,,,,

The next 3 minutes is a blur - I bet I shoveled down 3 or 4 ounces of that stuff. Fridge cold,,, sprinkle of sauce and just feeding the machine. Wow,,,

I needed it and I ate it and I don't regret it a bit. I probably could've stopped myself, but I don't know... sure didn't want to. I have room in my plan for an extra 300 calories on workout days, and I really think what I experienced was a response to a physiological need. The body found a way to get what it needed, and I was along for the ride. Very interesting, very compelling. The caveman is still in there,,, we get a peek at him once in a while.

Happen to anybody else lately?

Pork - Fresh, shoulder, arm picnic, lean only, cooked, roasted, 3 oz
194 calories
0 carbs
11 fat
23 protein :smile: :laugh: :bigsmile:
81 cholesterol
68 sodium

Casper's pulled pork finishing sauce
1 cup vinegar
2 Tbs. Salt
1 Tbs. Brown sugar
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Red pepper flakes.

Replies

• nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    Sounds heavenly! and so healthy you can't go wrong. Better than 1/4 of a loaf of Zucchini bread! My daughter-in-law brought me for my birthday. :huh: Just don't leave me with fresh zucchini bread or Blueberry muffins! :devil: I've handled all else just great! I do feel kind of the same about my broiled chicken....:bigsmile: Thanks for the recipes! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

You did all right. :drinker: :bigsmile: :glasses:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Yes ma'am, pig is good if you prep it right. Dogs love it when we make this because they get a lot of that fat she picks out. Basset and a Shih Tzu - they're my pals. (gotta be careful how you spell that).

Watch that sauce if you have blood pressure trouble, it's really salty.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow Casper, that sounds really good. Good protein load for your muscles to recover with too :drinker: Thanks for the recipe - I'm droolin already. :tongue:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yea, but mine involved a crap load of bread....went for soup and salad, ended up eating 2 pieces of garlic cheese bread and half of my boyfriends corn bread! it was last night, i went almost 300 calories over my goal....oops.:blushing: but it was so worth it! I havent had greasy cheesy garlic bread in a long time! and sweet buttery corn bread, Mmmmmmm!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You are a hoot and I love reading what you write! :laugh: I agree. If I'm hungry-I eat. I just try to make healthy choices. I also don't eat when I'm not hungry. That was a bad habit that was hard to break.
    Here's to BBQ :drinker: YUMMY!
  • joezmom
    joezmom Posts: 3
    Options
    That sounds wonderful...now we just need a good, low sugar, healthy coleslaw recipe to go with that! Pile it on a low cal, whole grain roll and you cannot go wrong :happy:

I know what you mean, after strength training my body craves protein too, nothing else tastes better. Our bodies really know what we need if we just listen to them!
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2 doughnuts:grumble: after having a protein shake this morning.
    Think my body was asking for carbs? :laugh:
    I'll just have a salad for lunch and will be able to eat dinner after burning 600 cals from turbokick!!

Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna make some sometime.:tongue:
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe and nutritional information!!
    You've inspired me to get my butt in gear today and workout. THANKS!
  • CasperO
    Options
    You're welcome ann. Watch the salt in that sauce. :drinker:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I find that protein and veggies are more desirable the more I weight train. It's like I hear my body calling out for fuel and not empty calories! And your description of the pulled pork has me drooling at my desk! :laugh: