*sigh* not off to the best start

So I went to Whole Foods today and spent 100 dollars on lots of fresh healthy food and was all motivated to eat well. I did really well all day until dinner. I live with my mom right now and she never eats at home. Whenever she asks me what I'm doing for dinner I'm tempted to go with her even if I have healthy veggies and stuff at home. I dont eat BAD when I go out with her but its definitely not as good as eating my veggies and protein at home. Why don't I have any will power to just say no I'm going to eat at home tonight? I think it is mainly because it is more enjoyable to go out to eat with someone than stay at home and eat by myself. I need to lose weight but I'm just not able to say no when people want to go eat :/. Ok my rant is over. Thanks for reading!!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Can you offer to cook for you and your mom and have a healthy dinner together at home?
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    She doesn't like any of the healthy food I eat :/ . Hopefully it won't happen TOO often since a lot of times she gets dinner with her BF or someone else.
  • shane9894
    shane9894 Posts: 23
    Can you offer to cook for you and your mom and have a healthy dinner together at home?

Good Idea...perhaps you two maybe even cook cook a few meals on the weekend sometime or when you get time and warm them up over the next few days and eat at home together so you don't have to cook full meals in the evening.
  • shane9894
    shane9894 Posts: 23
    She doesn't like any of the healthy food I eat :/ . Hopefully it won't happen TOO often since a lot of times she gets dinner with her BF or someone else.

eating healthy doesn't mean twigs and berries! Surely she would go for some marinated chicken, steak, turkey, and ham. Even if she don't like fresh veggies she could quickly make potato's, easy mac, or something to go with her's while you eat the good stuff ;)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member

eating healthy doesn't mean twigs and berries! Surely she would go for some marinated chicken, steak, turkey, and ham. Even if she don't like fresh veggies she could quickly make potato's, easy mac, or something to go with her's while you eat the good stuff ;)

I agree- I've been a vegetarian since I was 11 y/o and literally nobody else in my family eats what I do- but we make some compromise dishes- and then some are mine and some are everyone else's. But I understand your pain- it's hard to be disciplined when nobody around you pays attention to what they're eating- it's isolating.

There are a few more options, too- you could go with her, and look up the nutritional info online before you go, and make good educated choices about what you order. You could also look in to IF, which would allow you to have larger meals in the evening- BUT you're still going to have to make smart choices about what you eat. I can say from experience that if you just muscle through the first couple weeks, though, it will get better and your family will be more supportive of your efforts when they see that you're dedicated.
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    ISOLATING! That's the best way to describe it. I enjoy the food I make but when everyone else is going out it is very isolating to stay at home and eat alone. I will try all of your suggestions here. Thanks everyone!
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Stick too what you know is right for you regardless of what anyone else is doing. Create your own standards, stick to them. When you reach your goal you will simple feel and look much better than offers. Every choice makes a difference. Be what you know you want to be.

Be strong. Be consistant. Be healthy. Be you.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Because it is your MOM. Find a way to suck her in.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Yeah, Im sure you can find something you both like. Try making healthy versions of the restaurant food you eat. Ive gotten used to making great healthy curries, etc, just by changing a few ingredients. When Ive made things like risotto I just dont add butter, if you cook it right it should be creamy anyway :)
  • Sounds like you need a plan. Maybe go out with your Mom sometimes. You know
    most places will put the salad dressing on the side (so you can use olive oil + lemon/lime
    wedges instead of fattening dressings). A dinner salad is great - take half of the grilled
    chicken home and you are set. Try to find a happy medium. Good Luck!
  • PureWin
    PureWin Posts: 3
    I'm the same way. I can only say no so many times before I start feeling bad about turning people down, so I try to pick whatever looks the healthiest on the menu. Usually fish, chicken, salad, etc. If you ask for it to be cooked clean, they'll leave off all the butter, sauces, etc.

Restaurants that publish their nutrition information are helpful as well, if she likes to visit chain restaurants.