How fast do you lose/gain weight?

Options
If I were to go way over on my food calories (lets say enough to gain weight) or if I were to exercise A LOT one day, to lose weight, how long would it be before the scale would reflect this? This is more of a hypothetical question that I have always been curious about. I just always wondered if it was basically instant (that day) or if it will be noticed a few days later.

I hope this question made sense. I wasn't quite sure how to word it!:ohwell:
Thanks for any feedback! :smile:

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    weight gain and loss if more of a gradual thing. It takes 3500 calories over your required to gain a pound, and 3500 calories under to lose a pound. Plus, peoples bodies have variations from day to day, hour to hour with regards to water, fluids, etc etc... so, if i got the jist of your question, you wont see changes instantly, but gradually over time, and one day doesnt make or break you, it is a lifestyle that changes your body, good or bad.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Options
    Personally, what I do today is usually reflected next week.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    If I were to go way over on my food calories (lets say enough to gain weight) or if I were to exercise A LOT one day, to lose weight, how long would it be before the scale would reflect this? This is more of a hypothetical question that I have always been curious about. I just always wondered if it was basically instant (that day) or if it will be noticed a few days later.

I hope this question made sense. I wasn't quite sure how to word it!:ohwell:
    Thanks for any feedback! :smile:

Gee, get back to me tomorrow and I might have an answer for you! I just came back from an all you can eat Chinese buffet, and BOY, DID I ever eat! I guess I just like to get my money's worth, but, with what I ate today, I think I got somebody ELSE'S moneys worth too! :laugh: Right now I am bloated like a son of a gun, and am really dreading my weekly weigh in tomorrow morning! :noway: :grumble:
  • biochemnrd
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. It took me about a month to start seeing any sort of something. My mother on the other hand stops eating too many carbs and withing a few days her pants are too big. :ohwell:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I gain lose weight at a slow, steady clip.
    I gain weight at the speed of light. :wink:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I always notice a change after the second day. So not the day after eating/exercising, but the day after that.
  • meganlkp
    meganlkp Posts: 41
    Options
    I always notice the difference a week later x
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I don't notice weight loss for at least a week, most of the times longer. I think it really takes your body a while to aclimate or adjust.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options

I am the same way. :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It takes 24 to 72 hours for your body to completely digest and use/ store the food you've eaten.

I'm not sure about the other side- how quickly you lose fat. I think that depends on what your body has available to burn for energy.
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    Options
    I find that if i'm in "the zone" where my metabolism kicks in, I lose it SUPER fast. But I tend to plateau a lot, sometimes for weeks at a time. It's a total stop/start thing with me. For example, it's not unheard of for me to lose 3-4 lbs in a week, then nothing for another 2... :grumble:

the point is: it's a very personal thing depending on your body, how much excercise, and how well you're sticking to your diet plan
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    If I LOOK at a glass of wine, I gain. I can't lose a durned pound.:ohwell: :explode:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    like everyone, i lose slow, and gain fast!!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    my weight fluctuates daily if not hourly. too much salt or alcohol in one day and I gain 3 pounds the next morning, or if I eat too late in the evening, gaining at least a pound by morning. But if I don't eat late..and do everything right......I'll stay the same and it will take me a week or more to lose 1 pound.
    It is different for everyone, to a degree, but the same too....
    good luck.