Monthly Mini-Plateaus

Options
bakz4
bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
I've been working MFP faithfully for just over 2 months. I've got a long way to go, but I've increased walking (when I first began I could barely go quarter of a mile, now I'm up to three). I have cut out completely alcoholic beverages (wine is my fave), I have cut out soda (I'm a Diet Coke junkie). I've increased fruits and veggies and added more protein to my diet. I keep to my calorie range....

I'm wondering what is happening with other women when they are ovulating. Now, I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, however I still have my ovaries so I still ovulate. But since I don't get my pd, I have no idea WHEN I'm ovulating, EXCEPT THAT I notice, around this time of the month, I get to a period of about 4-5 days where my weight stabilizes or increases by a pound or so. :grumble:

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?? Thanks!

Replies

• TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! I did WW successfully a number of years ago but found that I needed the accountability again in order to get things back under control.

When I was in the strict long term losing mode, I too noticed a monthly pattern. What you are experiencing with the mini plateaus may be the water retention associated with the whole process or some of the other changes that happen during ovulation. Question for you: after having your surgery, do you still get the cravings associated with that time of the month? I desparately crave salty foods at least one day during my cycle! Granted, for me, that's more during the pd portion and may not apply, but if you're getting some unexplained cravings at certain times of the month 1) that may be an indication of when you are ovulating, 2) you can recognize it for what it is and try to work through it. If you are like me and get the cravings for salty food, you might be having water retention from that.

Sometimes when you're losing, your body will lose at a steady pace for several weeks and then just level off for a bit. I don't know if this relates to the cycle or not, but just keep on keeping on and you will work through it.
  • bakz4
    bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hadn't given a thought to the cravings. It's definitely something I will begin to keep track of, but off the top of my head, I think I do crave carbs/sweets more so...as I have this past week (and thankfully didn't give in to, until last night with a slice of cheesecake :mad: ).

I do plan to stick to it, regardless. Although it's frustrating, but I know in the long run, it's healthier than the way I'd been living! Thanks for the for your input!! It's been enlightening. (PS Your profile picture is BEAUTIFUL, TimeWarp9!!!)
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    As is yours!