Health Question

Options
I've recently revamped my diet to drop from the crazy amount of 3k Calories per day to 1800 Calories. My question is has anyone else got wicked headaches from changing their diet (including cutting out soda)?

Replies

• whodatlixxie
    Options
    If you cut out soda it could possibly be the caffeine withdrawal. Have a caffeinated beverage (coffee, tea) and see if the headaches go away.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on the caffeine withdrawal. Have you also cut way back on carbs too?
  • davidebe
    davidebe Posts: 7
    Options
    Not at much as I would like to on the carbs, but I'm still staying within my calorie intake when eating them. I believe its the soda, or something inside of the soda (other than the caffiene), that causes the headache.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why such a large cut in calories? Did you stop exercising?

+1 on caffeine withdraw. I still crave Mt. Dew every so often.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    +1 on the caffeine. Ask one of the docs you work with.

thanks for your service.
  • davidebe
    Options
    I continue to exercise, but I also got injured so my workouts aren't as intense as they were before. In turn I gained weight because I was eating the same crap I thought I could continue to eat (obviously it didn't work out so well). Needless to say I'm getting back into it and I'm getting married in Dec, so my fat *kitten* needs to be looking sexy on that day, hence the reason for the large cut in caloric intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I continue to exercise, but I also got injured so my workouts aren't as intense as they were before. In turn I gained weight because I was eating the same crap I thought I could continue to eat (obviously it didn't work out so well). Needless to say I'm getting back into it and I'm getting married in Dec, so my fat *kitten* needs to be looking sexy on that day, hence the reason for the large cut in caloric intake.

Speaking from experience, large cuts don't always work. I was 5'11, 205 lbs @ 18% body fat and did the 1800 calories a day and did P90X. Needless to say, 90 days later nothing changed. I had greater weight loss and fat loss when I was eating 2600 calories. Each body will handle the drops differently but you are better off eating 20% below your estimated TDEE and really pushing the weight training if you can.
  • davidebe
    Options
    Ok, I'm a little new to this, but to be honest I haven't seen any difference other than my stomach growling more since I dropped the calorie count. What is TDEE? I feel like such a NEWB because I was always used to eating what ever I wanted.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

http://www.stack.com/2011/01/12/how-to-calculate-your-daily-fueling-needs/

Check theses out. Your BMR is how many calories your body need to survive on if you were to do nothing. your TDEE is your total day energy expenditure. Thats how many calories you burn in a day on top of your BMR

those sites can help you figure it all out. With MFP you can have your TDEE set to Not include your exercise, so when you add it you then eat back your calories to meet your minimum number.

Or you can figure how active you are into your TDEE and just eat to that number everyday.