bbq help today

So, I am going to a BBQ tonight...

and I do want to have a drink or two (one needs to live every once in a while)....

any ideas what my game plan should be today?

I was thinking just less calories in general during the day

but it is hard to plan because I do not know exactly what food will be there. I assume burger and veggies at the min... maybe salads... plus other stuff...

thanks for your opinions
Cara

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

and I do want to have a drink or two (one needs to live every once in a while)....

it always surprises me that some people convince themselves that they arent enjoying life without booze. oh well.......

just drink and eat and have fun....unless you totally lose control, one day aint no big deal
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    just within the last week I've started exercising more and eating back calories... that'll offset a lil tipple
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 81 Member

it always surprises me that some people convince themselves that they arent enjoying life without booze. oh well.......

just drink and eat and have fun....unless you totally lose control, one day aint no big deal

I don't have to have booze to enjoy myself... and I could of decided to not drink tonight as that is always an option.

I guess I am just wondering how to incorporate this conscious decision to have a drink into a some what healthy day as well, thats all.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Maybe you could bring your own beer. Get a six pack of select 55 or mgd 64 that way you can have a few and not even have to think about it. Then eat sensibly, a burger and some salad and be done. That way you don't splurge too much and you still feel like you've had a good time.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Cut back on calories for the rest of the day and get some exercise in today and tomorrow. After that ..... just hope for the best!
  • jerber160
    Maybe you could bring your own beer. Get a six pack of select 55 or mgd 64 that way you can have a few and not even have to think about it. Then eat sensibly, a burger and some salad and be done. That way you don't splurge too much and you still feel like you've had a good time.

that sounds horrible to me. one good redstrip does not equal peeoir..
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Just go and have the time of your life. You work hard to lose weight but you still have to have fun.

But, tomorrow, when you feel like crap, try and get back on track. It will be worth it.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member

that sounds horrible to me. one good redstrip does not equal peeoir..

Well it doesn't matter to me, I drink beer to be social, not enjoy it or get drunk. The OP wanted a suggestion, I gave one. You don't have to get all beer-rightous
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    You will be faced with this situation for the rest of your life. You have to come up with something you can live with. I'd suggest to not get too hung up on these details. You have the rest of your life to lose the weight. One day is no big deal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    . You have the rest of your life to lose the weight.

no offense but this would be the wrong attitude for me.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Offer to take some lean meat with you for the BBQ, whoever is cooking always appreciates a little extra... If im really trying to be good I'll take a reduced calorie/light alcohol with me... but you know what its only one meal and as long as your planning on carrying on tomorrow then just enjoy yourself this evening! Good luck with it!
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    when you are working on weight loss the more you know the better. So. I would say dont starve yourself until till then. And don't be afraid to ask what is being served so you can plan your day. Planning is key. Liquor wise, if you are a beer drinker bring your own low calorie beer. any 2 0z of liquor mixed with crystal light or diet coke will work. Wear something fitted and white. this will remind you that you are there to socialize, look good and have fun!
  • i think the idea of bringing your own drinks is a great one! i'm also facing this challenge today at a graduation party.... i've already exercised more this morning, plan to bring a few snacks and eat a little there. alcohol is not an issue for me, but go and have fun! just get back at it tomorrow!!!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 213 Member
    My BBQ strategy: Hamburger, lettuce, tomato slice, on half a bun, no mayo (if you can eat with a fork!), grilled veggis-like asparagus with basalmic vinegar, fruit salad. I like white wine which is relatively low carb but also low alcohol. Drink lots of water and don't pick!
  • lourolfes
    lourolfes Posts: 13
    I think we'd all give up if one bad meal/night ruined everything. Just eat sensibly beforehand and afterwards and enjoy yourself while you're there. I've noticed that if I exercise pretty decently before going to a cookout, I'm much less likely to go crazy and splurge like I used to--it never seems worth it at the time. Oh, and definitely have a drink...maybe even one for me too! I would just drink some water to flush everything and maybe skip the scale in the a.m.

Enjoy!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I drink beer to be social, not enjoy it
    Um.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Good to be planning ahead.
    We all have to do the same thing when we have parties, winery trips and such.

I hosted 3 prties at my house last wk end & still had choices to make! I made sure there were healthy snack options. For instance, I loaded up on salad & veges, had the burger w/o bun, had fruit etc. J ust tried to estimate my calories ahead of time like you are doing. In general I have found I need to stay away from wherever the "snacks" are physically located so that I don't "graze."

Re: alcohol. All things in moderation & drink lots of water. I like dessert more than alcohol in this phase of my life but, even then, I have little, if any dessert & only if I've planned ahead like you're doing. It's a short inner debate for me - It takes me so long to loose any weight that I won't regularly indulge. I've just discovered protein shakes & having enough protein each day has really helped me.

It takes a while to figure it all out but it seems to get a little easier after your first BBQ, party, dinner out, etc. Just take it in stride...and have fun.
  • jerber160
    wondering how the bbq turned out diet wise?? hope OK
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    My advice - HAVE FUN!!! Try to up your exercise a little this week but really one day is not going to do much damage. Try "sampling" a variety of foods - that way you feel like you got to eat a lot of what was offered but you are only have a couple bites of each thing.

Throw one back for me :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    So, I am going to a BBQ tonight...

any ideas what my game plan should be today?

I was thinking just less calories in general during the day

but it is hard to plan because I do not know exactly what food will be there. I assume burger and veggies at the min... maybe salads... plus other stuff...

thanks for your opinions
    Cara

diet coke and vodka. high proof (not flavoured) vodka doesn't have sugars.

also, i love your name ;)