Excercising your waist down.

Options
This is what I want to do, I want to get it down more, but what exercises would be best to do to acheive this. Im going to start going back to the gym and just do my home stuff but any advice would be great.

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    good topic - can't help myself just waiting for responses ....
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have no idea (sorry!) but would love to see the answer!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't exercise your waist down (this makes me sad too!) You can't spot reduce fat. You can target muscles, but targeting your abdominal muscles won't make you any slimmer. All you can do is lose fat all over, and hope that eventually it comes off where you want it to. Just create a calorie deficit through diet and cardio (if you want). Strength training of the whole body will help reduce fat too.

Also, if you target abdominal muscles it may help the overall appearance just because you'll be able to "suck it in" more easily. I have heard of people getting a thicker waist though if they do tons of ab exercises, because the muscles got bigger. (Just heard that anecdotally though, not sure how likely it is).
  • leebaser
    leebaser Posts: 38
    Options
    Diet will do more for that than exercise. In addition to diet, look for exercises tht strengthen you're core. Try P90 or P90X
  • kathyp740
    kathyp740 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are interested in reducing your waistline, why not exercise your entire body so that it all looks nice and toned. I have seen women with very small waists but they have saggy arms and flabby thighs. A well toned body would look much nicer since all the parts really do fit together.
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Running! Although it will trim things down all over =)
  • selzam2
    selzam2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Even though doing tons of crunches won't slim you down, I find that consistently working my abdominal muscles (not just through standard crunches but oblique exercises and leg lifts to work the lower part of my abs) has really tightened up the area and given it some definition. Though my measurements haven't changed the appearance of the area overall has improved. Like others have already said, there is no way to ensure that body fat is lost from a specific location - both time and patience are needed to see results, but the good news is that your entire body will eventually look more fit and toned with work!
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    "the most effective ab exercise is walking. walking away from the kitchen"
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do the leg lifts too, I do run on at the gym but I cant run for more than 20 mins and only seem to burn around 250 cals if im lucky. Plus I have a knee problem in both knees though one is worse than the other, so I cant lift weight that strain my knees but i can push them away from me, dont know what type thats called lol.I also go on a cross trainer but not as often as i shouls as too much of this and the kneww acts up and hurts for days.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, belly fat is usually the last to go....
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    "the most effective ab exercise is walking. walking away from the kitchen"

haha good one! I did read recently that walking is good exercise for the waistline
  • NeverGoinBack2012
    Options
    Cycling: One of the advantages of cycling is that it offers a balanced approach to fitness. It's a low-impact exercise that can help you strengthen your heart, lower your blood pressure, boost your energy, burn calories, tone your body (especially thighs, buttocks and stomach), reduce stress and tension and help you reach peak performance. Cycling is an excellent exercise because it exercises large muscle groups in a sustained fashion, which maintains your heart rate at a level high enough to achieve training effects.

I cycle as my primary exercise. I'm seeing majoring toning in my hips, waist, buttocks, thighs, and abs.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am one of those with great arms, awesome legs and no waist. Even when I am thin, I have no definition in my waist. :ohwell:
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I wish spot reduction worked, but it doesn't. Need overall diet and exercise.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_reduction
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am one of those with great arms, awesome legs and no waist. Even when I am thin, I have no definition in my waist. :ohwell:

Wear a belt. It will make all the difference.:smile:
  • vance2804ibr
    vance2804ibr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Total body exercises are excellent for burning fat, as long as your are getting the correct nutrition as well.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Chiming in again on the need for exercises that work your entire core (not just the muscles you hit with traditional crunches). As others have said, this won't in and of itself reduce your waistline, but it will help "hold things in."
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm a nanny and I do "Nick Jr Just Dance" for the XBox 360 Kinect in the morning before my charges wake up (I have no shame; this game is a great workout!). I've noticed my waist seems more defined from doing all over dance, obviously, but from doing certain exercises to tighten that area--"arm stretches," lunges, hip movements, etc.

Like someone else said, you can't spot target fat, but you can specifically target the area muscles that can help tighten and shrink your waist--as long as all of this is conjunction with constant weight loss.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Cardio! Running works your abs as well as your legs. Biking, Jillian's Killer buns and thighs is great for the core and abs as well as your buns and thighs. And her No More Trouble Zones is great. And of course eating healthy and watching your calories.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wish you could lose weight in specific areas with specialized workouts but alas... The best advice I can give is to take high intensity classes with a trainer who has the type of body you would like to have. Chances are they'll be going through some of their own favorite routines in the class they teach. I'm a firm believer of classes and personal trainers. I just believe you'll never push yourself at home or even in a public gym as hard as when you're in a class, with an instructor who knows your name and a full length mirror (add head to toe spandex for an added push).