Joined a GYm - Help!

Options
Hi Everyone! I just signed up for a year at the YMCA - they just built a beautiful fitness facility - for the past 6 months I have been working out at home 6 days a week - alternating between the Firm interval workouts with weights and running outside. I have seen lots of results - down 30 pounds and lots of inches but am ready to move into a new phase - this is where I need help =). Any suggestions for how to rotate the Y into my schedule? Any thoughts on workout rotations? I love to exercise and push my limits but I do better with a plan that I can follow rather than simply winging it - I am going for overall functional fitness.

THanks!!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It depends largely on what your goals are.

It is likely that you will want to lift weights at some capacity, and it is likely that you'll want to lift such that you are lifting with your entire body over the course of a week.

Examples of good beginner programs assuming you will be weight-lifting:

Starting Strength
    All-Pros beginner routine
    New Rules of Weightlifting for Women (book)

And finally, depending on goals and your current fitness levels, there's nothing wrong with some sort of circuit program to get you started with lifting.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I do my own routine. Start with what you know! If you know how to use a treadmill or elipitacal start there. When I first started I used the eliptical, I pushed myself to do 20 minutes. My lungs and legs would be burning. I always set the equiptment to "Cardio Workout" The machines automatically adjust the resistance, LOVE IT! I moved on to an ARC trainer machine and alternate that with the Eliptical every other day. I do a bunch of the weight machines (in a circuit) 15-30 reps but now I have been pushing myself to lift higher and higher for 4-6 reps. I know the YMCA in my area offers all sorts of classes-Zumba, Spinning, Yoga, Steps, and other Bootcamps. You could sign up for something like that. Our YMCA has a pool too, so swimming could be an option.

I say make your own routine up! Use your time schedule and what you like to do as your guide.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    first, I would check the Y schedule and find out if there is a "fitstart" program that you can sign up for. I am a Y member, and they have a small class every few weeks to teach people about the different strength machines.

If you have the cash, sign up for a personal trainer at the Y. Mine offers 30 minute private sessions for $35, or a couples session for $60. The trainer that works when I am at the Y is a total hottie, so I totally eavesdrop on his fitstart classes and sometimes on his private training sessions. My friend and I are going to try to take his next fitstart session in July, and this fall I hope to get the $$ together for a few private sessions. Even without being a "paying client" the trainer has always been super friendly and willing to show me how to work the equipment if I ask.....