I'm New- Any Advice Appreciated!

Options
Hi, I'm on day 1 and looking to lose 42 pounds. Baby number 2 is now almost 6 months old and I can't use the excuse 'I just had a baby' much longer! I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and work fulltime so I don't have much 'me time' for exercise so was planning on doing some exercise dvds when the kids are in bed. I'm looking for some quick, easy (and not too expensive!) meal ideas which all the family can have. I'm breastfeeding and feel hungry all the time which isn't helping at the minute. I just crave carbs all the time- any advice to deal with this?!

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Log everything. The DVDs sound like a great idea. Make a rule if you're hungry you have to eat some veggies first before reaching for the crackers, bread, chips, etc... Chasing the 3yr old around the park, the house, the yard, everywhere has got to be good exercise too!
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your baby! For cheap but healthy meal ideas, when the budget gets tight I cook up some black beans and rice. I usually make mine with 1/2 cup bean, 1/2 cup brown rice, and a TON of veggies (tomatillos, onions, bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, whatever you have on hand). Add some cayenne, garlic powder, and lime juice- great filling dinner for cheap! Also, my grocery store puts their meat on 40% off when it gets within a few days of expiration. I buy it then and freeze it to use when I need it. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have is to get your head in the right place, as it will make the eating and exercise easier to incorporate on your journey.

For me, what helped me most to stay focused and motivated was to not dwell on the scale. Instead, think more about getting healthy. And be patient. Everytime you move, whether it be to take the stairs instead of the elevator or more formal exercise, know that you are making your heart stronger. Also, everytime you choose a healthy food option like veggies, fruit or lean protein instead of a bag of chips, or fast food lunch, that you are doing your body good! You may not see phyical changes right away, but know that your body is changing on the inside and you are getting healthier. You will start feeling better both phycially and hopefully about how you feel about the person you see in the mirror. Small, sustainable changes you can live with will be key to your success.

Personally, I avoid most simple carbs(chips, crackers, white bread)as I find them addicting and they offer little nutritional benefit. Instead, I load up on protein and complex carbs with some healthy oils thrown in. It is a challenge to change one's eating habits, but like most other habits, it is quite possible to break and old habit and replace it with a new(HEALTHIER) one.

I would check with your doctor about recommended calorie intake as you are breastfeeding.

Congrats on your little ones and GOOD LUCk! You can do this!
  • ktkear
    ktkear Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Best advice for any newcomer, is to read all the threads at the top of this forum that explain how MFP works, as it can be very confusing for people as it is different from the way most sites work.