Why do men lose weight faster than women?

Options
my husband and I were just talking about how men lose weight faster than women? Why is that?

Replies

• TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    my husband and I were just talking about how men lose weight faster than women? Why is that?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns calories faster than fat. Women have natually more body fat than men, percentage wise.

I know it is wrong - in so many ways - but there you have it.

cm
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    figures ;0) Guess I'll learn to accept it.. and just sneak him an extra serving to slow down his weight loss... just kidding!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I think more men are willing to exercise than women is part of it. No spears please.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Why would they? If a man and woman have the same calorie deficit, they'll lose in the same timeframe.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    testosterone
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hormones, muscle, all kinds of different things going on in their bodies. We get the periods, they get the quicker weight loss. Doesn't seem fair, does it? ;)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    Why would they? If a man and woman have the same calorie deficit, they'll lose in the same timeframe.

Yes, but men have a much higher metabolic capacity, so when your TDEE is higher, it's easier to cut calories and not be as hungry
  • AJ_G
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I think more men are willing to exercise than women is part of it. No spears please.

Yea, that's probably not it at all lol
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Yes, but men have a much higher metabolic capacity, so when your TDEE is higher, it's easier to cut calories and not be as hungry

If men and women cut the same amount of calories, then they will be just as hungry as the other... since the TDEE of a woman is smaller anyway.
  • AJ_G
    Options

If men and women cut the same amount of calories, then they will be just as hungry as the other... since the TDEE of a woman is smaller anyway.

Hunger is not a great indicator of caloric need or caloric intake
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Yeah, sorry but it doesn't work that way. Hell, it doesn't even work that way in the same gender.

One person's TDEE is 1500 cals, another's is 2500. Have both cut by 500 cals. You're asking the first person to cut 33% out of their diet. The other's only cutting 20%. Even if it is only a physiological response and not a physical one, the first person is likely to feel hungrier/more deprived* simply because the change is more significant.

*unless they make very satiating food choices and the other makes poorly satiating choices.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Life is unfair
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Because they need to run to hunt and gather. We need to stay warm in our caves and let an incubus foetus feed off our reserves while we wait for our fresh gazelle steak.

Or...something. Science. Anatomy. We're different. We provide different outputs to the world.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Men have more muscle.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Yeah, sorry but it doesn't work that way. Hell, it doesn't even work that way in the same gender.

One person's TDEE is 1500 cals, another's is 2500. Have both cut by 500 cals. You're asking the first person to cut 33% out of their diet. The other's only cutting 20%. Even if it is only a physiological response and not a physical one, the first person is likely to feel hungrier/more deprived* simply because the change is more significant.

*unless they make very satiating food choices and the other makes poorly satiating choices.

This.