CrossFit - not losing weight.

Options
I started CrossFit a week and a half ago, and I'm seeing no weight loss results. I'm eating 1200 calories a day and drinking tons of water...

Any motivation or explanations are welcomed... It's pretty frustrating to have my muscles aching this badly and the fat won't come off.

Thanks for the support!

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are going to tell you to eat more. I'm gonna agree with them and also tell you to have some patience. It's only been a week in a half.
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough to fuel your body for all of the training you are doing.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Youre surely measuring inches aswell right.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ooops, pressed send too quick.

Also, get on the protein shake or something, will dull the ache massively!
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    if you are doing something as stenuous as crossfit, definately eat more. also remember you are building muscle which infact does weigh more than fat by mass.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercise, your muscles are probably retaining a lot of water (and the fact you are aching badly suggests this is true). Stick with it, and as your body adjusts to the exercise level, you will loss that fluid and start seeing the weight drop off.

(I assume your calorie count is accurate. Measure your portions - it is easily to underestimate how much you are actually eating).
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym that teaches crossfit says expect zero scale changes until at LEAST week 3. After that it will be a radical drop IF you're fueling yourself properly. Something about the muscles adjusting and fat burning ratios is why he said it takes so long for the scale to catch up. Hang in there! Try looking at inches for a little bit maybe?
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Gosh a week and half? 10 days and you havent dropped any weight. Hell I lost 42 lbs in my first 10 days.
  • Weendi
    Weendi Posts: 1
    Options
    You're dropping fat and adding muscle. Muscle is heavy.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    Options

You can build muscle in 10 days on 1200 calories????? WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOW
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options

No it's really not any heavier then fat.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, you are probaby starving! LOL!
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=549:does-muscle-weight-more-than-fat&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

muscle is more dense than fat and therefore weighs more by mass.

she could be the same weight but dropping inches
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=549:does-muscle-weight-more-than-fat&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

muscle is more dense than fat and therefore weighs more by mass.

she could be the same weight but dropping inches

In 10 days, she's probably not lost much of anything...

to OP, keep at it...after week 4, have a look in the mirror again, you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    Options
    Im sorry in 10 days or so you are not really:

A. Dropping a significant amount of fat

B. Building any New Muscle

If you notice inches going down in 10 days its water weight. If you are losing weight its water weight.

I just lots 4.5lbs this week, 2 inches. Its water weight. The human body is a water tank, especially females.

If you workout during dieting and you start to lose weight you will see "muscles" these aren't really new muscle growth, its the toning of the muscles you have done during exercising but now the water/fat isnt covering them.
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    Patience is key! I've done Crossfit on and off for a couple of years and the weight does not come off in a week and a half. The only way weight comes off that fast is water weight. Honestly, give it atleast a couple of months.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there and be patient. Honestly, throw the scale out for the first couple months and just take measurements. It's possible that 1200 calories might be too low for you but it's hard to say without knowing all of your stats and daily activity (non exercise).
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Gosh a week and half? 10 days and you havent dropped any weight. Hell I lost 42 lbs in my first 10 days.

Some people do this. Most don't. [OK, so this person is really "exaggerating for effect"--but what I mean is some people DO lose a lot really fast and some don't! I DO get it, now--but my point stands anyway--don't get down about it!] Don't let it discourage you. You are definitely not eating enough if you are counting right. Protein right before or after workout is very important. Make sure what you're eating is actually food--to quote Lou Schuler, "A bag of Doritos won't do it."

You are doing right to start asking questions rather than getting disgusted and quitting! Keep doing the right thing--and checking yourself like you're doing now to see if you're REALLY doing the right thing--and let the results take care of themselves. Some of us just are much slower to respond metabolically and we just have to hang in there.

Go for it!
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options

The "x" volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. So you look thinner, and are thinner if you measure, but weigh the same (or sometimes more). But there is not a measurable difference in 10 days.