kayaking

Options
Ok, so tops on my "fitness bucket list" is kayaking. Deathly afraid of water I cant see to the bottom of, but determined to conquer the fear of the water and of making a fool of myself!

I'm not ready to do it this year but I'd like to start conditioning to get into it next summer.

I dont have a gym membership, so I need to figure out exersizes that I can do at home that will get me working toward being able to do this.

I currently vary my routine. I do some walking, have a recumbant bike that I do about every other day, I have a Gazelle that I use infrequently, I also do stability ball, weights and some yoga.

Are there any kayakers out there with some hints on whats best to get me ready??

Replies

• nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    I've only done this a couple times, the best on a river in Mississippi. You can kayak just about anywhere though. I suggest a slow moving river specifically in existence for recreational kayaking and canoeing. You could sometimes see the bottom and no one expects you to be an expert. Paddling for hours is an insane workout though. Bring a strong guy in case you need a break:wink:
  • shaleah77
    Options
    My whole family kayaked this June on Lake Superior (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore- see pic at left :tongue: ) We kayaked most of the day and it was awesome. Definitely a vacation the kids will remember. The guide was so impressed that my 8 year old was strong till the end and even that me and hubby could hang in there too :laugh:

I am hoping our next kayaking adventure will be in the Thousand Island region :bigsmile:

We also canoe and love it as well!

To prepare- a positive attitude. I was miserably out of shape when we went and did fine- I'm thankful the waves were nearly non existent that day :tongue:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, my guess is that you are going to LOOOOVE kayaking!!!

It is one of my passions, but I don't get to go very often at all (not easy to do with a 2 year old :ohwell: )

There are soooo many different kinds of kayaks - if you have the opportunity, Hobie Mirage is really cool, it has a pedal system that drops in. The great thing about that is it gives your arms a break and your legs a workout too!

Aim for low-wave water, wear a life jacket... it is the most peaceful, beautiful, moving experience! :smile: :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Oh... to prepare... work your shoulders, your abs, your arms, and your back. If you want to try the pedals, keep up with that bike, too!
  • shaleah77
    Options
    I should probably add this...

I didn't have any trouble, nor was I sore the next day or the next day etc. But, my husband who is in pretty good shape and had been a carpenter up until 2 years ago, now in management, so he doesn't physically work as hard- he was sore the next day. I don't know how, why I wasn't- I am a stay at home mom and my kids are 8 and 13 so no more....'pick me up mommy' LOL

We also, having the kids with us, rented lumbering tandem kayaks. They did have foot pedals but they were only for steering.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi ya! I just went canoeing over the weekend, and while it is different, it is similar to kayaking and there were plenty of kayakers out with us.

We went to Blue River in Indiana. I can't swim and I am also afraid of water, but when I asked the guy who worked the ramp how likely it was I was going to die he said that the water was only like 3 feet or so deep. I laughed and said "90% then?" I couldn't see the bottom, but I wouldn't have died if I did get tumped out.

It was a short distance- we took like 3 hours to travel the course, and much of that time the water just carried us along. and like others have said, you can probably do it with no real preparation. Just start slow on calm, slow moving water and move up as your skill and comfort level rise.

Have fun!
    :smile:
  • ovwcmoo
    ovwcmoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi TuscanySun,

I am and have been an avid kayaker for too many years to list. Yoga and stretching will help a lot! Prolonged setting in a kayak causes a lot of back problems for new paddlers who are not used to the "setting in the boat" position. Upper body, arm and torso strengthing, will also help.

I do flat and whitewater kayaking, with a preference for whitewater. I am preparing to go on trip to the Grand Canyon next summer and have been working on my strenth and flexabilty.

Since you have a pre-exiting fear, I would suggest you get with a local club or kayaking outfitter, when you start ,and take a few lessons. They can get you through and past some of the hurdles of your fear, without having to make a lot of 'beginner mistakes." Plus they can show you how to do it safely! Kayaking and canoeing are both sports that a lot of people try without formal lessons. I can and have seen multiple people try without instruction, end up in trouble.
    I am a kayaing instructor and have been for quite a while. Here is a web site that you can visit to find a local instructor or/or use some of their references.... http://www.acanet.org/acanet.htm This would get you started on good path to a new and absoutely beautiful hobby.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, my guess is that you are going to LOOOOVE kayaking!!!

It is one of my passions, but I don't get to go very often at all (not easy to do with a 2 year old :ohwell: )

There are soooo many different kinds of kayaks - if you have the opportunity, Hobie Mirage is really cool, it has a pedal system that drops in. The great thing about that is it gives your arms a break and your legs a workout too!

Aim for low-wave water, wear a life jacket... it is the most peaceful, beautiful, moving experience! :smile: :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Oh... to prepare... work your shoulders, your abs, your arms, and your back. If you want to try the pedals, keep up with that bike, too!

Thank you for that info. I didnt know they made one with pedals that can be used too. That makes me feel better about trying it. I can just see me paddling out and not able to paddle back...drifting down the river!! :laugh:
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    Hi TuscanySun,

I am and have been an avid kayaker for too many years to list. Yoga and stretching will help a lot! Prolonged setting in a kayak causes a lot of back problems for new paddlers who are not used to the "setting in the boat" position. Upper body, arm and torso strengthing, will also help.

I do flat and whitewater kayaking, with a preference for whitewater. I am preparing to go on trip to the Grand Canyon next summer and have been working on my strenth and flexabilty.

Since you have a pre-exiting fear, I would suggest you get with a local club or kayaking outfitter, when you start ,and take a few lessons. They can get you through and past some of the hurdles of your fear, without having to make a lot of 'beginner mistakes." Plus they can show you how to do it safely! Kayaking and canoeing are both sports that a lot of people try without formal lessons. I can and have seen multiple people try without instruction, end up in trouble.
    I am a kayaing instructor and have been for quite a while. Here is a web site that you can visit to find a local instructor or/or use some of their references.... http://www.acanet.org/acanet.htm This would get you started on good path to a new and absoutely beautiful hobby.
    Thank you very much for that info! I do appreciate it and will be sure to check out that website!
  • shaleah77
    Options
    I can just see me paddling out and not able to paddle back...drifting down the river!! :laugh:

In general when you kayak a river, you are going downstream. Usually, the canoe/kayak livery has a pick-up and drop spot. You park your car at the pick up spot and then they drive you to the drop spot, where you put the vessel of your choice in the water, which again is generally upstream so you are going downstream toward the pick up location. Being a first timer I recommend renting one, before purchasing your own. You never know, you may not like it or maybe just won't do it often enough to really require your own equipment. I kayak at least once a year since I was a kid and since I move a lot and go north to kayak I don't even own my own kayak.

Also, another pointer, give thought to what time of year you would like to do this. Generally in the spring or early summer, rivers are - colder, deeper and faster as opposed to later in the summer.

I do have scoliosis that usually causes some lower back pain with anything I do. Some stretching every now and again usually alleviates any pain or stiffness, or simply re-adjusting.
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    Thanks! Thats good info too! I didnt know about the faster water thing or the pick up/drop off.

I'm getting excited to work toward being able to do this!!