New Rules For Weightlifting for Women. Is it worth it?

Options
Hi Folks,

I've been seeing the title of this book, New Rules For Weigtlifing for Women, popping up on a lot of threads. I hope to purchase it eventually but in the meantime I will take it out the library to see what it is like. I go to my gym at work but I hope to use the book mainly at home. Do I need tons of equipment/machines? Can basic dumbbells suffice?

I'm really liking lifting weights and I'm not falling into the faulty thinking that weights will make you bulk up. I want to really tone while I'm losing weight and I want to be stronger for my children and for myself.

I'd appreciate your feedback on the book: pros/cons, results etc...

Thank you!!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    New Rules is a barbell training book. It's... ok. There's some good info, but a lot of junk information in it, also. My wife got it from the library a while back, and I wasn't too impressed. It's a lot more complicated than it really needs to be. If you're serious about weight training, and strength training, I'd recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing great results, but you do have to forget about the scale a little bit. During phase one I went down an entire pant/shirt size, although the scale only reflected a 5 pound loss. This indicates to me that the book is doing what it advertises: helping me focus on fat loss while maintaining/increasing my lean body mass. I love seeing myself get stronger, too!
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm ending my second week of Stage 1. Dumbbells alone won't do it unless you have an extensive set. At least in my opinion, it is sort of necessary to have a gym available. I did one workout at home. I used resistance bands to replicate a seated row, but I really needed much more weight and required a pulley station.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes it has been great for me so far..
    I just finished stage one yesterday.

My strength has totally improved ( Check my blog if you want to see the stats)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/juicemoogan

There are lots of great shared google Doc spreadsheets that make the workouts much more understandable, as the way they are laid out in the book is a bit confusing, but dont let that deter you.
    I have a good one if you want it.

Join the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
    Lots of great info there.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I am in stage 3, really like it so far. I actually gained 5 pounds but lost several inches and a few BF%s. It is overly complicated IMO though, I'm lucky I have my trainer helping me through it. I will be moving straight to Stronglifts 5x5 when I'm done with the book. I'm not gonna lie, there are *times* I wish I had just started with Stronglifts instead!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I bought it b/c I love lifting but I don't have a gym membership and it wasn't something that I could see doing at home even with adjustable dumbbells that I have....Also, for me it was really confusing on the stages and workouts...I know that some people have spreadsheets made up to help others to understand it but I didn't like it myself....I may read it again if/when I get a gym membership but probably not....I ordered Chalean Extreme b/c this way I could learn proper form and all you need are some dumbbells at home...That is what I like...Hope this helps!! I would definitely get it from the library first to check it out....Some people love it but I am not one of those people...Best of luck to you!!

Also, check out www.bodybuilding.com this site has everything you need to know and even some lifting programs you can do at home or at a gym...

ETA...I have also heard that stronglifts 5x5 is great!! You may want to try this first!! :)
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Thank you!!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    shall have a read of this later
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just bought 'Lean, Long and Strong' It appears to be easy to follow and I will be starting it as soon as I get back from vacation next week. It only requires some dumbells and an exercise ball.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes!!

And you don't need a barbell to do the program. I workout at home and used strictly dumbbells and made nice progress. I did the program from Sept. '11 to April '12 and lost ~3% body fat. My profile is open so you can view my pics.

Do it, you won't be sorry. Good luck.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Some great info here. Was thinking of getting this book too but will now look at the other suggestions. Thanks
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love it. It has been a great way to really learn about lifting. I'm in Stage 3 and I've lost 5% BF. I can't complain when the results are there.
  • pluckybamboo
    pluckybamboo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on Stage 2, but I'm already seeing great results, even though I had always followed a strength training plan. The slight tweaks and change of focus have really jump-started changes in my body - I can see muscle separation all over and am down a pants size. Access to a gym helps, but most of the exercises are modifiable. To do it at home, you definitely need a good set dumbbels, a swiss ball and a step.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes!!

And you don't need a barbell to do the program. I workout at home and used strictly dumbbells and made nice progress. I did the program from Sept. '11 to April '12 and lost ~3% body fat. My profile is open so you can view my pics.

Do it, you won't be sorry. Good luck.

I was worried about the barbell...I workout at home, but have weights all the way up to the 50s...hmmm, time to add a book to my reading list :smile:
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump