Why do I feel like an addict??

Options
Why is it that when I'm full from eating a lot of sweets and fatty foods I feel like saying 'I'm never eating anything like this ever again', cut to an hour later I'm been offered some chocolate cake and of course I'm not really hungry at all BUT I EAT IT, Why can't I just say no thanks! Noooo I eat the thing and then I feel worse(cause I already felt bad). This is what an addict must feel like :cry:

Replies

• nataliamay
    Options
    Why is it that when I'm full from eating a lot of sweets and fatty foods I feel like saying 'I'm never eating anything like this ever again', cut to an hour later I'm been offered some chocolate cake and of course I'm not really hungry at all BUT I EAT IT, Why can't I just say no thanks! Noooo I eat the thing and then I feel worse(cause I already felt bad). This is what an addict must feel like :cry:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I think we all have our own personal addicitions...and in time you will find the strength to say NO. Good luck and we are here for ya....:flowerforyou:

dd
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    I do the same thing. I think it's something done more out of a need to keep the other person from feeling bad. My boyfriend and I both have weight issues, and every time he goes on a diet he stays clear of his grandma for that reason.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a good answer for you nataliamay. But I can sympothize. It happens to a lot of us. For me, the turning point was the need for me to see how bad I was looking. I was the heaviest I had ever been and just came off the worst baseball season I ever had. I looked in the mirror one day and said, WOW, I look pregnant (the fact that I am male and looked that way was even worse.).

I don't know if a "wakeup call" is what everyone needs, but it was definately what I needed. I have promised myself I'll never look like that again. And I know that, even though I may have bad days here and there, it's my overall attitude that has changed, and that is what makes getting healthier possible. Once you get past the first few weeks usually it becomes easier to resist. Once you see your not going to die from holding back, it gets better.

Hang in there!

Best of luck!

-Steve
  • ladydianab
    Options
    I agree. I have heard/read somewhere that sugar has the same affect on our brains as cocaine does. I don't know the validity of that but it sounds plausible. I think that I have finally had my "aha" moment. In my middle of the night post I was experiencing exactly what you are going through. I wish that we could bottle these feelings and bring them out when we need the boost and motivation to stay on our quest for healthy living. di
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options

you are an addict. sugar is addictive. and when the resources start to get low you crave it, and you even have withdrawls. it sucks:grumble: I managed to kick sugar, and most empty carbs but I fight with it everyday. its everywhere in things you least expect. when I started reading labels it was shocking. There seems to be high fructose in everything. :angry: even ketchup. I started making my own, but now Hienz has a low sugar one, same with BBQ sauce. KC masterpiece has an excellent sugar free one. even when I indulge in sugar free, I have to fight the cravings as well. its worse than alcohol. Its tough, but you can do it. hang in there.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm an addict too- I can pass up drugs, alcohol, even cigarettes, but tell me that I can never ever again have cheetos, chocolate, pizza, or any other equally horrifyingly unhealthy food and I'll go insane.

I think this is something we will always deal with, I know I personally have most definitely gotten better, but I also allow myself a treat or two here and there becuase if I feel deprived, watch out!! I'm like a junkie...
    Hang in there. I think realization is the first key!
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wish I could feel like I did a couple of years ago... ADDICTED TO RUNNING!

I can't find the way back to that place in my head. I KNOW it's all in my head. I should go to that spinning class at noon... maybe I will... Maybe I'll become addicted to spinning! Too bad it makes my bottom hurt so bad!!! :ohwell:

Angela :flowerforyou:
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    http://www.oa.org you have started the 1st step
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Because you are, you can be addicted to foods just like drugs. I had the same problems and like a drug addict I had to go cold turkey and just stop the sugar craziness for about 10 days, I ate fruit and veggies, brown rice, egg whites, yogurt and skim milk only for 10 days straight. At the end of the 10 days my skin looked better, my energy was up and I was sleeping better. I have had "relapses" and I do my "detox" diet for about 4 days at a time when I know I am out of control and the cravings stay away a little more every time!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I wish I could feel like I did a couple of years ago... ADDICTED TO RUNNING!

I can't find the way back to that place in my head. I KNOW it's all in my head. I should go to that spinning class at noon... maybe I will... Maybe I'll become addicted to spinning! Too bad it makes my bottom hurt so bad!!! :ohwell:

Angela :flowerforyou:

Angela,

You ARE going to spinning class today and you are going to let us know how the class was. The hardest part is getting there. Put on your workout clothes now. Better a sore bum than feeling guitly for not going. :happy:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    This is a subject close to me as I am a recovering drug addict. I tried to quit many times before I succeeded. I think I also always have been, and will be, addicted to food. I used it for everything except what it was meant to be used for--which is to live. I believe less in the idea of will power and self control than in the idea of behavior modification. The only reason I am in recovery from drugs is because I changed certain aspects of my life that allowed me fewer opportunities to do them, eventually resulting in a conscious decision to not do them again, for 15 years now. I use many of the techniques I learned in treatment to now deal with my food usage as an addiction.

If you could hold in your memory forever the way you felt when you binged on chocolates and fried foods, you night find the strength to say no the next time. But often times we forget those negative feelings, or try to bury them with more chocolate. I recall that I was not able to go to a party where people were drinking for about 6 years. Now it doesn't bother me and I'm still sober. It's because of the conscious decision not to drink, not because I have super human will power, because I don't.

I think people here are too hard on themselves, in one way, expecting they will have this insane self control when it comes to buffets or chocolate cake or ice cream or dinner parties or pizza or whatever their weakness is. Then they set themselves up for "failure" by exposing themselves to things they cannot pass up. The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Okay, so that's my rant for the day. My suggestion to you: set yourself up for successes until you are strong enough to make the decision to pass on the cakes. It'll happen in time, with practice.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Catlover, I so agree with you.
    we do set ourselves up for failure by putting ourselves in the situation of buffets, cookies in the house, and scads of other scenarios. With me its all or nothing, which is why low carb works for me when most others don't. Now I have added calorie counting to low carb and have managed so far. But even with the sugar free treats or items I have to be careful. I fight it every day. EVERY DAY. I am afraid when the 100 days is over I will relax a bit for a day or two to reward myself for being so strong and bam, it's all over. I will drink myself stupid, eat like a pig telling myself its just for a break until.... yeah, right. I have 45 days left and am trying to get my head around the fact I will take 1 meal as a treat, drink myself reasonably stupid, and start another 50 days. its like I can only do this if I trick myself into believing its for a finite amount of time, but I also have to convince myself that I can continue pasted the 100 into another set without destroying all the progress. how messed up is that!!:explode:
    I am addicted to food, without question. I can't even use 80/20 cause it would be 75/25 70/30 well, you get the picture. I applaud you on your success and support you in all your efforts to go only forward. I admire your continued strength, and will use you as an example of what I could achieve. thanks for sharing. RJ