Can't figure out a label. Can I borrow a brain?

Options
sarah3333
sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
Sorry if this has been asked before.

It's for Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn (White Corn)

The label says:
Serving Size 3Tbsp unpopped (makes about 6 cups popped)

Calories: (3Tbsp unpopped) = 120 calories
(1 cup popped) = 15 Calories

Am I supposed to go by 15 X 6 or 120? I use an air popper, so if I put in 3 Tbsp of kernels how many calories should I log?

I don't know why my brain can't figure this out. Maybe I am just second guessing myself and need confirmation. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks! :)

Replies

• TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    HA! I have ALWAYS had a hard time figuring out the serving sizes for popcorn too - I just finally gave up trying! :blushing:
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you put in 3 T unpopped the calories will be 120.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I would go with what you are eating. If you are eating 1 cup popped, then count it as 15. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line, they got their numbers mixed up and are off...
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Only count the unpopped calories if that is how you are eating it. If you are eating it popped, then those are the calories to count.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you put in 3 TBSP of unpopped kernels and ate all of the popcorn, you would put in 120 calories because that would make more than 1 cup of popped popcorn.

I think what you need to do is experiment with it a bit to the the amount you really want.

If you look at it this way. 120 calories for 3 TBSP of unpopped turns out to be about 8 cups of popcorn. 2 TBSP is just over 5 cups and 1 TBSP is about 2.6 cups.

If you eat the 3 TBSP serving it will come out as more than 1 cup, so you would log however much is in a cup. You could maybe make the 8 cup serving and measure out equal amounts and put them into bags to eat another time. This way you don't have to look around and start preparing popcorn or going after other food, instead you have a few bags handy. When you are running low, make another few bags.