Weak knee

Options
I have been running six miles twice a week. I would like run even more but my left knee hurts really bad. I stretch before I run and while I run I stretch out my left leg to lessen the pain. Is there anything I can do to help my knee?

Replies

• Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cycle it is none impact, I was told many years ago not to run or even walk seriously as I was so heavy and would damage my knees and hips. I still cycle and still love it. and now about 150 pounds lighter.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Stop running and see an osteopathic doctor as soon as possible.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've heard that running can actually damage the knees if they are already kind of weak. Try switching to brisk walking and cycling for a little bit - they are both good for the knees!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Stop running and see an osteopathic doctor as soon as possible.

I agree.....see a doctor because there may be some other problem causing the pain and you may be making it worse.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Cycling can put pressure on the knee too, I have floating knee joint, or something like that, and can only run for so long. When i went to docs they actually told me that running and cycling and using cross trainer might irrate it more. I think I have built up some strenth in them now as they dont ache like crazy like they used to.
  • elewellen
    elewellen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay left knee I am in the same about if you have a dollar store in your area get u two knee braces they are only three dollars a piece and Arthitis cream like asprecreme or any type rub on both knees then apply knee braces before your workouts sorry about spelling most nurse's can not spell. I hope this helps.