Do you work out with your spouse? Happily?

Options
2»

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I go to the gym together, but we do separate workouts when we get there because he's more into the free weights and I prefer the machines that keep my form right since I've never lifted until this year. We do cardio together sometimes (long walks and biking) but you can't really mess that up! I wish I had some advice for you, but my guy is obsessed with doing and right and does a lot of reading on the subject, so I get my advice from him rather than vice versa! Good luck...
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of getting the lifting magazines for him to "maybe" learn from, try to get him to do this with you: watch infomercials on TV for various fitness products. Not because you want to buy that particular expensive program, but to get tips on form, etc. It's another non-confrontational way for you to provide the info, while at the same time letting him think he already knows it.... Good luck. I hate working out with my husband for many of the same reasons! ;-)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My husband and I lift weights together on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We're currently doing the same program (Stronglifts 5x5) and get along very well. I'm the one who decided I wanted to do the program and decided he would join me. He's pretty into it now and continued going to the gym even when I had to take a break for medical reasons. He did lower his weights a bit because I wasn't there to spot him and he was typically too shy to ask someone else at the gym. :happy:

He goes cycling himself (though I will sometimes tag along) and I usually go for walks by myself.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    We tried lifting together. I swung a dumbbell at his face. On purpose. We haven't lifted together since. We'll spot each other, just not work out together. Running together is enjoyable though.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    nop! its my time... anyway he doesnt want me to lose more weigjht or get more lean :explode: so he is not invite to my workouts:grumble: lol!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ladydars
    ladydars Posts: 4
    Options
    My spouse has been promising to work out with me for a week or so - but it hasn't happened yet! I don't think he's ready to give up his precious computer time for anything yet!

But he is incredibly fit and lean, so the time he takes to decide will give me time to perhaps have a chance at keeping up.

With regards to giving advice about form, I like the suggestions about magazines and videos. If he won't listen to you, maybe he'll listen to someone who is an "expert".
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options

I really like the idea of using youtube videos to get tips on great form. If the advice comes from someone else, he is more likely to listen and not see you as a nag. Whenever I try to correct my husband on his lunges or something, he gets really pissy. Then I get anxious. Then no one has fun. So, have someone else lead the workout and then maybe you'll both learn something. :)
    Yes. You do understand. I plan to take this advice.
    Sabrinajl said , We tried lifting together. I swung a dumbbell at his face. On purpose. We haven't lifted together since. We'll spot each other, just not work out together. Running together is enjoyable though....................:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    The replys here have been everything I hoped for. And thanks to Sabrina, more. :happy: