myfitnesspal or fat2fitradio calorie goal

2»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Most of the sensible people on mfp who have been here a long time and successfully lost and maintained. Why did you even join mfp as you obviously totally disagree with how it works?!
    Creating a 1000 deficit on a 1200 diet is very much a short term 'crash' diet which will ultimately end in regaining the weight, I should know ive done it for the last 15 years.
    I can't even be bothered arguing with you now. I'll eat my 2000 and lose 1.5lbs, you eat 1200 and fail to lose 2lbs, and see who gives up first.

So you not only take nutrition advice from people on an internet board over the advice of actual authorities, but you also claim that unsupported advice is the right path for everyone, and the authorities have it all wrong.

I'm here to log food because it beats the Fitbit site. I actually don't think the MFP plan is bad, it's just too conservative for many when paired with the poor advice given on the forums like to always eat above your BMR and always add back exercise.

What I'm not going to do is waste my time aiming for .5 lb loss/week and get 0, which is exactly what would happen under the plans people espouse. The rec for a healthy deficit is up to 1000/day. I can safely do that and will lose what I lose.

If you are happy at your deficit and loss level that's fine. But that doesn't mean people asking if 1000/day is safe deserve the misinformation that it is not.

I love how when someone can't respond with actual data so they insult you and flounce off in a huff.
  • Bump
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Mfp is 1280 and the other is 1939. What Do you follow?
    But most days I have around 900, I just feel full all time and
    Don't know whether I should force myself to eat to meet these
    Cal goals. I don't know which to follow..?

If I had eaten 1900 per day, I would have gained weight.

MFP gives you a goal and expects you to log exercise and eat back the exercise cals...fat2fit gives you a total daily calorie number that you eat each day based on your activity level but you are not to eat back exercise cals. I have found my actual intake to be pretty comparable either way...assuming you eat back exercise cals logged on MFP...
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Most of the sensible people on mfp who have been here a long time and successfully lost and maintained. Why did you even join mfp as you obviously totally disagree with how it works?!
    Creating a 1000 deficit on a 1200 diet is very much a short term 'crash' diet which will ultimately end in regaining the weight, I should know ive done it for the last 15 years.
    I can't even be bothered arguing with you now. I'll eat my 2000 and lose 1.5lbs, you eat 1200 and fail to lose 2lbs, and see who gives up first.

So you not only take nutrition advice from people on an internet board over the advice of actual authorities, but you also claim that unsupported advice is the right path for everyone, and the authorities have it all wrong.

I'm here to log food because it beats the Fitbit site. I actually don't think the MFP plan is bad, it's just too conservative for many when paired with the poor advice given on the forums like to always eat above your BMR and always add back exercise.

What I'm not going to do is waste my time aiming for .5 lb loss/week and get 0, which is exactly what would happen under the plans people espouse. The rec for a healthy deficit is up to 1000/day. I can safely do that and will lose what I lose.

If you are happy at your deficit and loss level that's fine. But that doesn't mean people asking if 1000/day is safe deserve the misinformation that it is not.

I love how when someone can't respond with actual data so they insult you and flounce off in a huff.

What part of my post insulted you?!

Creating a huge deficit will make you lose WEIGHT, but you will also lose muscle and end up skinny fat - what's more important, the number on the scale or looking toned and healthy?
    I have lost 48lbs with a moderate deficit and weight training, and 46 of those lbs lost have been fat. I am now a lot smaller than last time I weighed what I do now when I did 1200 calorie diets. I actually lose just as much weight eating 2000 as I did eating 1200, so why would anyone starve themselves and be miserable if it's not necessary?!

The thing with exercise cals, if exercise was included already and mfp gave you a higher allowance like most other calculators do, nobody would question it and would all be happy to eat what they were told by the system, but as they are seperate the net cals confuse people and they don't get why it is important to eat the exercise cals back!

See yarwell / psulemons reply on here, that explains pretty well why larger deficits don't work:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/633670-how-many-calories-for-each-meal

The link you posted actually says a smaller deficit can help maintain the loss
    "Starting your calorie deficit smaller can help you adjust to your dietary changes and keep off the weight that you lose"
    Also this......
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
    "If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low"
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    MFP was set too low for me when based on a 1 lb. loss. I added a couple hundred more calories to whatever MFP said and was still able to lose weight.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member

the recommended 'SAFE' losses are:

75+ to lose = 2lbs
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

Recommended by who?

People that say 2 lbs/week is safe include these below, and many, many others. Notice too there is no mention of "net" with the 1200 in the original article link below that says 1200 is a safe minimum.

MyPyramid.gov
    MedlinePlus: Tips for Losing Weight
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Balancing Calories
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Calorie Deficit Table

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/385547-how-much-of-a-calorie-deficit-to-lose-weight/#ixzz1xzQmDlse

lol, my friend. You get so emotional when you read the forums. (And you all need to know that this woman consistently loses and is dropping clothing sizes quickly. So glad to have a friend who knows how to eat healthy, lose weight, and maintain. :) You should really listen to her advice.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    http://www.calculatorlab.com/HowDoIMeetMyWeightLossGoal/index.php

I went on here. You put in your weight + weight loss goal + exercise and it tells you how much you should eat per day. I'm eating at a 20% deficit, putting me at around 1600-1700 calories per day (gross calories; not net).

I've been eating like this for the past couple of weeks and I've lost a pound :smile:
    (I know that sounds like bugger all, but I don't have a lot of weight to lose so I'm right on track, I think)

Just ran my numbers on this website and they came out really, really close to F2F. MFP has me much lower.