Waist measurement for women

Options
Wasn't sure where to post this...

Where do you measure your waist? I've been measuring at my belly button, but I'm seeing pictures where people are measuring at the smallest part of their torso...

Thanks.

Replies

• dalygirl_2010
    Options
    one inch above the belly button, is where my trainer measures us!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I do two measurements - one of each. My true waist is much MUCH higher than my belly button.. So I record a waist and a belly measurement
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Lean over sideways and where the crease is, that is where your waist is.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    At the narrow bit, my waist is really high which is why dresses and some tops fit me strangely.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i measure my waist at the smallest part of my torso.
    and my abdomen at my belly button.

http://www.henris.com/media/docs/howtomeasure.pdf

but i dont think their is one proper way to do it. as long as you are consistant with your placement that is all that matters :)
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yeah- I just wonder because when doing the fat2fit.com measurements to determine % body fat, I'm not sure what they mean by "waist" measurement. I'm guessing I entered it wrong.
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To measure your waist - feel just below your ribs on your side. which is usually the smallest part of your waist.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If it is unclear where your natural waist is, then there are rules available for where to measure. If you have a natural waist, measure there.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I take two measurements: my natural waist, which is very high, and around my bellybutton. There is a huge difference in the inches because I am pear-shaped. Just measure consistently, and use whichever one you like.
  • tinaslosingit
    tinaslosingit Posts: 45 Member
    Options

i have heard before that this is where your waist is and this is how i measure my waist . i also measure across my belly button but i dont count that as "waist"
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    I take two measurements: my natural waist, which is very high, and around my bellybutton. There is a huge difference in the inches because I am pear-shaped. Just measure consistently, and use whichever one you like.

Same here, I measure in two spots as well. And my hips are 7" below my bellybutton (because I think that's where I had to measure for sewing once and that's what I remember).
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Loved reading this, my trainer measured my so called waist around my belly buttons and I nealry fainted at the 7 inch difference to where I measure, which is like all of you, the smallest part of my torso, this is wear skirts sit not at the top of my hips where they measure, No ones waist is there and its stupid for them to take that as your waistline. Womans bodys are not the same as mens.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

i have heard before that this is where your waist is and this is how i measure my waist . i also measure across my belly button but i dont count that as "waist"

Snap! I do that too.

That particular measurement I just call "belly"
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ditto this, plus I just had a baby a year ago so my lower abdomen still protrudes a bit. As long as you are consistent that's what matters but i know for me I need to lose much more around my bellybutton area than my natural waist!
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do the narrowest part too, FWIW.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've always taken it at my belly button. Mine is 27
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have the weird double belly thing, so the most narrow part of my torso IS at my belly button. That is where my pants/skirts sit, otherwise I would look like Urkel.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Smallest part of your torso.

The smallest part of YOUR torso is always going to be the smallest part of YOUR torso. So that's where you should measure.
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the weird double belly thing, so the most narrow part of my torso IS at my belly button. That is where my pants/skirts sit, otherwise I would look like Urkel.

Thats how my body is too! With my "lower belly" being big, I always wondered if my waist measurements was suppose to be around that or slightly above (across my belly button) where its narrow. And that is where the waistband of my pants/shorts go. So I've done 2 measurements that I listed as Waist and Across Belly lol.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my belly is huge so i should be measuring mine in 2 places, but i do belly button. maybe i will start doing 2.