Dairy Free/Gluten Free

Options
Hi fellow MFP'erz,

Can you link me to websites or cook books that discuss dairy free and gluten free cooking? I'm currently a student on a fixed grocery budget, so it would be a huge plus if you point me to a source that saves me money as well.

Thanks!

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty close to a Primal or Paleo diet. There should be plenty of people around who can help you with that. I know any resources myself though.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    What I do is usually look at gluten free vegan sites and then add chicken or fish into the recipe if I want.
  • thunder_dan
    Options
    What I do is usually look at gluten free vegan sites and then add chicken or fish into the recipe if I want.

I've been doing the same, but what bothers me the most is the cost of gluten free products at the grocery store. For example, gluten free bread is over $5 a loaf (ENER G? bread made of rice flour tastes bad and it was very dry n chalky), and gluten free cereals are mostly over $5 as well (for the equivalent of corn flakes). Then there are the Gluten free bars, like Larbar and Kind bars...tasty but pricey as well. So even though overall I'm eating healthy, I miss cereal and bread the most.

I'm also eat a lot of Indian/Pakistani food. I can't have roti or naan, and I'm not a big fan of rice. So eating curries is tough without breads because they are very spicy...
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    nomnompaleo is a great sources for gluten and dairy free recipes.

Check out Chowstalker as well, it has lots of special diet recipes.

Most paleo recipes will be dairy free and all will be gluten free. Plus they will be full of healthy ingredients :)
  • misskerouac
    Options
    Yes, it's hard to find a good gluten free bread, I've been contemplating trying to bake my own. I like Udi's millet and chia bread, reminds me of a whole grain bread. I have made my own gluten free cornbread muffins with the Bob Mill mix and those were tasty.

I gave up on cereal. I have a protein shake in the morning. I do really like the vega sport chocolate coconut protein bar and he peanut MacroBar which are both GF and DF, I stock up when the health food store has them on sale the LaraBars are ok but for the same amount of calories I get twice as much protein from the other bars.

Ohh do I miss butter chicken and naan, I just try not to think about it lol
  • thunder_dan
    Options
    nomnompaleo is a great sources for gluten and dairy free recipes.

Check out Chowstalker as well, it has lots of special diet recipes.

Most paleo recipes will be dairy free and all will be gluten free. Plus they will be full of healthy ingredients :)

High 5, for linking me to awesome websites! I'm going to have to eat first to prevent drooling at all the great pictures unfortunately.
  • thunder_dan
    Options
    Yes, it's hard to find a good gluten free bread, I've been contemplating trying to bake my own. I like Udi's millet and chia bread, reminds me of a whole grain bread. I have made my own gluten free cornbread muffins with the Bob Mill mix and those were tasty.

I gave up on cereal. I have a protein shake in the morning. I do really like the vega sport chocolate coconut protein bar and he peanut MacroBar which are both GF and DF, I stock up when the health food store has them on sale the LaraBars are ok but for the same amount of calories I get twice as much protein from the other bars.

Ohh do I miss butter chicken and naan, I just try not to think about it lol

Thanks for suggesting those products! I'm definitely going to make cornbread. I have never made it before, so that will be a cool new project in the kitchen for sure. I'm adding all of your recommended products to my grocery list, so I'll keep an eye out for them :)

Recently I started experimenting making my own breakfast shakes with protein powders as well. My first attempt was with Hemp protein, and unfortunately I bought the "plain" flavor. So, I have to add a lot of berries or fruit, along with a bunch of splenda just to get over it's bitter chalky taste. Hemp protein seems to be gentle on my stomach, so next time I'll get a flavored version. Do you follow a particular protein shake recipe or do you create your own?

Oh, gosh naan! Why can't I have naan anymore? It's just wrong...sometimes I wish I was just never introduced to certain kinds of foods to begin with. Lol. On a lighter note, this just means I can figure out a way to create naan with better ingredients. It's just a matter of time ;-)
  • misskerouac
    Options
    My "shake" is not very creative lol. I buy Prarie Naturals Organic Rice Protein in Cafe Caramel flavour. 30g is 110 calories and has 23g of protein. I mix it with some coconut milk and ice and it tastes pretty good, has that slight coffee taste. Sometimes I do half unsweetened coconut milk and half chocolate coconut milk, pretty tasty.
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy Free. I highly recommend godairyfree.com you can add me
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    This site will let you choose what allergies you have or food you are avoiding and it searches a ton of places for recipes.

http://www.yummly.com/recipes
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The links were no problem! I hope you get some good ideas from them! Checking out the paleo diet might be a good idea for you since you are gluten and dairy free.

For me, I have cut out most of those gluten free substitutes for my old favorite foods because they aren't really great for you and end up being much higher in calories. Plus, many of them don't taste very good! If you want a good gluten free flour blend for those times when you want a treat, try King Arthur's Gluten Free "flour"

Feel free to friend me :)
  • thunder_dan
    Options
    This site will let you choose what allergies you have or food you are avoiding and it searches a ton of places for recipes.

http://www.yummly.com/recipes

This site is a gold mine for recipes and the search options are great. Thanks!
  • kmiagia
    kmiagia Posts: 104
    Options
    i'm lactose intolerant and believe that gluten should definitely not be apart of my diet any longer so i'm willing to try the recipes too. i'm excited. wish me luck.