Ladies only, I have a personal question.

Options
So, I have a question for Ladies working out on their TOM..

What do you do when you're on it? Do you lessen your workout?
I get really bad cramps when I workout (Tae Bo) and it gets so bad I can only do 10 minutes of it or I'm on the ground in pain.
I heard Yoga works.. but wasn't sure?

If not, any suggestions? Share what you do?

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I work out the same pretty much. I might delay a workout but I dont get 24/7 cramps so it doesnt effect me

I'm usually doing crossfit, lifting heavy, and distance running
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    i know how you feel!! i normally do Zumba Fitness 50 mins a day 4 days a week, when my cramps are bad i either reduce them or not workout at all and just go easy on my cals.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I had somewhat the same problem. I still walk/jog & yoga is a great option. But also that week I will eat more Omega 3 foods. I will add ground flax seed to my yogurt, cereal, oatmeal or even protein shake and it really does make a difference. Hope you feel better or find away around the cramps, my friend! Take care!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Exercise usually helps cramps. If the high impact is too much for that TOM, try doing yoga or pilates. Both are gentle on your body but will help it to relax your body, stretch those abdominal muscles that hurt from the cramping, and it will calm you down in general. You can find some good routines on YouTube. This website : bodyrock.tv : is AMAZING. there are some yoga moves there. Just pull a video from offline and get to it! If you have an iPhone, there is an app called Daily Yoga that guides you through a 10, 20, or 60 minutes routine. It's very calming. :flowerforyou:
  • Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options
    Thanks so much, guess yoga is popular on TOM. I'll try out that app. And I'll try walking, and maybe calm down on the tae bo. (:
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I ignore it as much as I can but if it gets bad then I stretch my stomach. Kind of lying on the floor on my front and pushing up with my arms until it feels like it's stretching. That almost always helps. Other than that I use a mooncup and that has lessened the pain quite a lot and made the whole period a day shorter. Anything to stop it irritating me! :happy:
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider looking at your diet and see what you can do there to reduce your issues. The diet can drive a lot of that. If I am having issues though I just reduce the intensity.
  • KeishaK89
    KeishaK89 Posts: 40
    Options
    I had an IUD implanted a month ago and i have been spotting ever since. I dont let it affect my workouts at all but im definately more bloated and carrying water weight which is annoying. If i have cramps weightlifting seems to be easier then running the pain away.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I gave up dairy and it helped tremendously with cramps. My cramps were debilitating and I actually had surgery to figure out what was going on. Apparently, the hormones in dairy are too rough on my system. if I eat dairy I either go months without a period or have months at a time where I bleed every single day. I once had a period for 9 months straight. I had to go to the doctor every other day to get my iron levels checked. It was horrible.

Something you might want to try.
  • Jessastar
    Jessastar Posts: 234
    Options
    I gave up dairy and it helped tremendously with cramps. My cramps were debilitating and I actually had surgery to figure out what was going on. Apparently, the hormones in dairy are too rough on my system. if I eat dairy I either go months without a period or have months at a time where I bleed every single day. I once had a period for 9 months straight. I had to go to the doctor every other day to get my iron levels checked. It was horrible.

Something you might want to try.

I'll try it, but does that mean Milk too since it's dairy?
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i dont have cramps when toms here so i dont know what to tell you
  • mpoole6
    mpoole6 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do a workout but not that intense maybe a brisk walk or just a quick jog because the cramps can get really bad but at least you have still gotyour body in motion
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do my normal routine, except swimming.
  • Lee1265
    Lee1265 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink a TON more water and just keep moving..... Granted I'm a swimmer- so for first couple days I stay on dry land and do the cross circuit training instead. There have been days where I just....well, said to HECK with it... I stick my eating plan and just take a day of rest as far as training. Think it's up to you...personal feeling and want or NOT to that day.....
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I still do my normal walking/running, but I try to double up on water intake and take a preventative Midol. I actually made it through this month with maybe 10 minutes of a mild cramp and barely a TOM at all, so I think the increased exercise actually helps.
  • htalexander
    Options
    I love to do lots of stretches, yoga, and light excersises..but I have rough cramps too and excersising a lot makes my flow get heavier so I don't push it.....I just make sure to stay under calories..I wouldn't feel guilty..I think we are meant to rest a bit more during TOM.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Running! Trust me its painful at first but exercise actually reduces cramps. Some people mentioned a heavier flow, it's not that your flow is heavier (well yeah kinda) it's that your flushing your body out quicker. It's a proven fact that if you exercise daily your period will end a little earlier.

Also healthy eating and frequent exercises reduces cramps in the long run, there's a study all about it here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/523768-does-exercise-reduce-menstrual-cramping/
  • Sveid
    Sveid Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The first day is always worst for me, so I just take that day off. I watch what I eat a little more carefully, have a piece of dark chocolate, and just relax.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis so I get nasty cramps. I dont care what anyone says exercise does not help my cramps. If Im hurting that bad I take a day off. I figure it will wind up being 2 maybe 3 days a month tops so no big deal.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I work as hard as I would any other time. It seems the more fit I become, the less cramps I have. Now, I rarely suffer from cramps at all.