Do You Use Sugar Replacements?

Personally, I can not stand the taste of them--Aspartame taste like metal to me and Stevia is for to sweet with a weird after taste. Even if they did not have an off putting taste I don't think I would use them.

The thought of putting lab made sweeteners in my body kind of freaks me out. It do not put much faith in the FDA to protect me when they have lifted the ban on Saccarin which has been showed to cause cancer. Also studies have shown after someone drinks an artificially sweet beverage insulin is produced and your body will start storing fat.

Health issues aside, why do they exist. Can't we get through a day without a a trip to the junk food drawer. Do we really need to wash cookies down with coke and still feel good about ourselves. Do we have to really walk down the center isle and oogle the 51 flavors of sugary beverage. Are these things necessary for our health and happiness. Or have we been just been programed that way. And i guess that really is the point. When did not-heathy become pleasurable, you feel like **** after eating it. Yet if you have ever at a fresh tomato off the vine or really good sushi(if that is your thing) it is just as pleasurable but more deeply because you body is along for the ride.

*This has turned into a bit more of a rant than i wanted it to be. I bought some lemon-aid today and missed that it was 10% less sugar and had to spit it out because of the aspartame.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    I use Sweet & Low in my coffee, and will drink a diet pop once a day. Splenda makes my heart beat erratically, so I avoid that.

Otherwise I figure I could be hit by a bus tomorrow so I'm not going to sweat it too much.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    I like the taste of Truvia well enough. I toss a packet in my smoothies. I drink artificially sweetened Iced Green Tea and enjoy an occasional sugar-free Popsicle.

I don't think there are any real or serious problems with them, and they don't affect me at all as far as I can tell.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I use them, but then, I have been diabetic for most of my life so I am used to them. I prefer Splenda out of them all, although Truvia is pretty good too.
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    I am with the original poster, I do not use any artificial sweeteners at all. I get very upset if a package is not clrealy marked. I have learned to use sugar in moderation and that works for me. I would rather have quality taste than a great quantity of aweful and suspect stuff!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I still use sugar. I just cut back on it when I can. I don't like the term replacements or artificial going into my system.
  • SaintsK
    SaintsK Posts: 18 Member
    I loathe artificial sweeteners. Not only do they taste bad, but the longer they are out the more bad things you hear about them. Personally, I am trying to just cut back on my sweet tooth- successfully so far- and I stick to using sugar int eh raw in small amounts . . or a touch of honey if I don't have that.
  • debkc76
    debkc76 Posts: 7
    My opinion is that they should be avoided especially aspartame. Feel free do do your own research, but I have recently found out how dangerous aspartame can be.
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    I need to proof my post better. damn the lack of an edit button. That a side. Thanks for the comments so far.

I have been doing some research and I can't find anything but opinion and limited case studies. So i guess for me it comes down to taste and Aspartame taste vile to me. I wonder if it is genetic like how cilantro taste like soap to some people?
  • jessc2198
    jessc2198 Posts: 11
    From what i have read from various places. Stevia is said to be good! I like it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I haven't heard nor read anything negative about Stevia, Lo Han Guo or Erythritol. I rather use those than "sugar" or agave nectar any day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'm with you, OP - I think they taste awful.
    I was completely bemused to be given a free Powerade Zero after a race recently. I started drinking it without reading the label but stopped after one mouthful because the taste is so bad! I don't get why they think that after I've run for 14km I need an "energy" drink that has no energy?? Lucky they also had water and apples.

Back to sugar - I don't use anything that is artificially sweetened, my theory is that I want to get used to eating moderately sized portions of "real" food, not to use artificially low calorie foods as a crutch to allow me to continue to eat more than my body needs. That just seems like a recipe for disaster in the long term.

As a case in point - I can eat 60g of seriously delicious, full fat, full sugar caramel crunch icecream for 140 cals. It's not a very big portion but its rich and delicious and I enjoy every mouthful.
    Or, I could eat a Skinny Cow icecream sandwich for 110 cals - there is more icecream, but it tastes horrible. I just don't see the point.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I use them in my coffee, but that's pretty much it. We like a generic Splenda type. Ive tried the stevia ones and don't like the aftertaste at all.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Stevia + fruit = yum. I use it in fruit smoothies and lemonade. And sometimes I shake some of it onto raw fruit, like some people would use a salt shaker.
  • jesseb05
    jesseb05 Posts: 1 Member
    Aspartame is worse for your body than sugar. I steer clear of all artificial sweeteners.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,174 Member
    I used to use Splenda until I tried Truvia. I much prefer the taste of that.

But I only use it in tea. I use regular sugar in baking.

I remember when my mother used saccharine tablets in her coffee.....talk about NASTY!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    HELL NO.

I don't eat sugar out of the container either. lol

When whatever I am eating calls for sugar I have it. I don't think you can get away with eating more junk by making it low sugar/low fat and it certaintly doesn't make it healthier.

When I eat junk food, it has to be good quality, full fat, full real sugar quality ingredients and I will only have a little bit. The real stuff seems to be more satisfying and it tastes better