Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do I record all the walking I do at work?

I've recently started working in a hotel and find myself on my feet walking around a lot, from one end to the other, checking things, bringing stuff to different rooms, etc. Do I log all this extra walking that I'm doing, or just let it go? Is an HRM really the only way to find out how many calories I burn while I'm just standing there at the desk for however long?

Replies

• lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    This has been posed many times and different people have different opinions - the main one being to up your activity level which will adjust your caliories to make up for the added activity you do during the day.
  • I work at the front desk of a hotel too and I don't record any of the walking or standing that I do. It's part of my job, so I don't think it's necessary. My rule is that I only record actual exercise that I do - like, only if I purposefully set out to burn calories, if that makes sense. It's up to you, that's just what I do. :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    you may get a mixed bag of answers, but personally...
    i have a one night a week security gig, at which i walk roughly 6miles throughout the shift.
    i make sure i hoof it at a good clip, and yes, i log it.

people log going for a healthy walk on the beach...why not try to extrapolate how much walking you do at work and add that in.
    i even log my walks a bit short so im not WAY overestimating.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    This has been posed many times and different people have different opinions - the main one being to up your activity level which will adjust your caliories to make up for the added activity you do during the day.

^Agree. The options are:

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

In your situation, I would probably update them to Lightly Active. You really want to log exercise only if it's outside of what you'd do on a normal basis. Good luck!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Adjust your activity level. If you add it in all the time as exercise, you're going to end up overestimating. It's better to simply set your activity to lightly active, and leave it at that.