PCOS and weightloss

Options
Does anyone have PCOS and have successfully lost weight and kepted it off without medications?

I have recently regained all my weight that i had lost (8lbs back on in a week) for some reason, i though originally that it might of been water weight but i have been diligent drinking all my water and still no movement. Even though in the past 5 weeks I have only gone over my allotted calories twice. I am usually under in my carbs and fat intake and over in my protein, i also try and avoid salt and make sure i drink all my water. I am thanking that maybe my PCOS is back (i just had a baby a few months ago) and that its hindering my weight loss. I am still exclusively breastfeeding and workout as much as possible. And that if it is my PCOS if anyone had combated the weight gain associated with PCOS without the use of medications. And if you did use medications what did your Dr put you on, i know my Dr and i talked about Metformin 2 years ago before I became pregnant.

Replies

• celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of PCOS groups on this site that might be a great place to start/support they are great :)!

I dont have a diagnosis of PCOS but have all the symptoms and the only thing thats worked for me is a low carb diet. Many of the women on MFP who also have PCOS are following the same diet recommendations and losing the weight :)

Hope this is helpful and dont give up :) There are people out there who will support you!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The only way I could lose weight was by taking Metformin but I'm sure some ladies in the PCOS group have some pointers too! I know more doctors are actually prescribing Metformin for breastfeedings mothers with PCOS because often PCOS causes supply issues and Metformin can boost your supply
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yep and nope, right after baby i did great for about 3-4 months then gained it all back +, i have insulin retention as a result of my pcos and take metformin to control, bonus of that is the weight is moving in the right direction, i have to work my butt off to do this but it is moving now! good luck and don't give up. also i found i sweat heavy during my workouts and up'd my sodium allowance and the bloat came down.
  • TammyGrl0528
    Options
    I am glad to see that there are PCOS groups on this site..I will look into them today.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006. I am on Metoformin though. And, have not been successful with losing weight or even taking the Metformin due to the side effects, that I recently learned can be eased with the use of Immodium...it is safe! So, I am restarting the Met!!!

Good luck to ya!
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2002, and have never taken meds for it (except for birth control, I hadn't had a period in over a year).

Three years ago I lost 80 pounds doing low carb with no meds. I did gain 30 of that back, but I am now working towards losing it. I have lost 15 of the 30 in the past month.

I will check out the PCOS groups too, thanx!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too so I understand how hard it is to lose. I don't take any medication but I do take supplements like omega, b100 and multi vitamins. There are a few groups here, but they aren't very active.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've mainly seen success with a low carb diet. I was on synthroid at one time, but currently I'm not taking any meds (other than birth control).
  • beccaboo0713
    Options
    I have PCOS and IR and I do well on the gi diet!
  • tirzahthornburg
    Options
    I have PCOS and was recently put on an injectable medication for insulin resistance called Victoza by my endocrinologist. It regulates blood sugar and also works as an appetite suppressant. Its expensive if you dont have insurance. I lost 35 lbs over 2 years with a low carb, organic diet, cardio/strength training for 60 minutes 5 days a week and Metformin, but once I hit a certain weight, I couldnt lose anymore. With Victoza added to the diet, exercise and Metformin, I have lost another 10lbs in 3 months.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed after the birth of my 5th child in 1998. It helped explain a LOT of what was going on with me up until that point! What a relief to have a diagnosis! I've been taking Metformin ever since the diagnosis.

When my last one was born, I weighed 235 embarrassing pounds. I managed to drop to the 200lb point and within 10 or 15lbs, kept that off for the majority of the time since then, with 1 exception. About 4 years ago I joined a biggest loser competition at my gym and dropped 23 lbs doing that, then continued on to lose a total of over 40lbs. I would have been able to keep it off except that I'm an emotional eater and my beloved grandmother took ill from cancer and a very stressful time of her slowly deteriorating came about. I ate myself into oblivion and gained it all back in a few months, but stopped gaining at the 200lb mark.

She's been gone from this world for 3 years now and I'm finally working on losing the weight for good. I'm down 14 lbs from the point that I began this journey. I exercise 6 days a week right now, I use the food diary on this site religiously, too. That and the exercise diary are 2 huge helps for me. Time will tell if I get to my ultimate goal and keep it off, but I have a good feeling this time that I can and will. Without Metformin, I've never been able to lose weight without medical help. Before my 5th child, was conceived, I used fen-phen and dropped 40lbs, taking my body out of secondary infertility, much to our amazement.

Metformin is a miracle drug for me. It slowed the male pattern hair growth, helped bring my triglycerides under control (they were horribly high, making me at risk for heart disease), it seems to have stopped my insulin resistance, and lessened the acne I was experiencing. I'm sure there were other symptoms that I'm not recalling at the moment, but the medicine helped a lot. The worst side effect I had was surprise diarrhea. I had to go to the extended tabs and split up my dose, so I take half in the morning and half at night. For several years I would get surprised, though. I don't anymore, finally.

Best of luck to you.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS...i take no medications and have lost 85 kilos/190 pounds .... which has taken me 5.5 years to do so....so it can be done...just might be a slightly slower process :)
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS, and I can tell you that weight wise my body LOVED being pregnant. Both times I LOST weight while eating plenty-- until the baby was born and my ovaries went back into crazyland. Nursing the babies didn't help me lose weight either.

Anyway... I'm not on any meds but the thing that works best for me is staying away from sugar. It's such a quick spiral of wanting more and more and MORE.

It seems like it takes us longer than everyone else to lose weight. So just do your best and don't give up!
  • Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I have started taking birth control when diagnosed. Then changed to Metformin. I have not tried to lose weight without meds, but would love to be off of the Metformin. If I cut out most sugar and stick to low carb I lose weight. If not then forget it!! I also found if I don't monitor everything I put in my mouth I can weight very fast! Sucks!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    it's hard! I have PCOS, I have lost 25 pounds in 5 months. I'm completely unmediated. I am a carbaholic, pasta, potatoes, rice, you name I eat it all the time. I have been losing by just walking and doing Zumba, and eating smaller, portions. I'm never giving up, I have 58 lbs left to go! :)
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another person with PCOS whose lost. I do take Metformin when I remember but I am one of the rare ones who has no side affects from it.

I don't eat low carb but I eat low GI. It's worked for me! Exercise is spotty. I run, walk and play sport. After going under 100kg (I've hit a three month plateau and the mental need to get under 100kg is more important right now) ill start weight lifting again.
  • coastiebride1120
    coastiebride1120 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's nice to know I'm not the only one in this boat. My PCOS was never even controlled while on birth control my dr ended up putting me on lystida (sp) and oh man did that make my cysts much more barrible although cost a small fortune even with insurance but worth it to me. I am currently not on BC waiting to get an IUD. I eat as much of a low carb diet as I can (Italian) hard to give up the carbs. But i am always under the recommended carb intake by the end of the week. My sugar is ALWAYS over no matter what and usually over even before lunch. I do not think there has been a single day since starting this program that I haven't been over my allotted sugar intake by 2x or 3x the recommended. If someone can help me out with my food diary that would be fantastic an find where I am messing up besides the couple Pepsi next, two sugary treats this week, starbucks and some champagne last Saturday ( first cheat day since cinco de mayo)
  • coastiebride1120
    coastiebride1120 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MrsV
    MrsV Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and remain unmedicated unless I'm pregnant or ttc. However, I have ALWAYS carried extra weight. Recently, I quit sugar. I have lost 20lbs and kept it off, plus I can tell that my cycles are much more regular than I ever have been. I maintain that, because PCOS is loosely related to diabetic conditions, that quitting sugar and fructose has changed *everything* for me.

Here's my blog with my journey: http://formytummy.blogspot.com

Good luck!
  • MrsV
    MrsV Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it's nice to know I'm not the only one in this boat. My PCOS was never even controlled while on birth control my dr ended up putting me on lystida (sp) and oh man did that make my cysts much more barrible although cost a small fortune even with insurance but worth it to me. I am currently not on BC waiting to get an IUD. I eat as much of a low carb diet as I can (Italian) hard to give up the carbs. But i am always under the recommended carb intake by the end of the week. My sugar is ALWAYS over no matter what and usually over even before lunch. I do not think there has been a single day since starting this program that I haven't been over my allotted sugar intake by 2x or 3x the recommended. If someone can help me out with my food diary that would be fantastic an find where I am messing up besides the couple Pepsi next, two sugary treats this week, starbucks and some champagne last Saturday ( first cheat day since cinco de mayo)

There are a lot of things that contain sugar and affect our bodies that aren't obviously sugar. Bread crumbs, ketchups/sauces, marinades, fake sugars and even fruit!