Binge advice?

Options
I find I'm very good with food during the day, But at night, like at 9-10pm I just want to eat cereal and crap. I sometimes manage to go on my bike or go to bed and ignore it but recently I've been giving in and eating crap tons of food and feeling SO guilty about it. Any advice on how to get past this? xx

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Popcorn and fresh vegetables. Those are two of my go-to snacks for late evening hunger!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to change how you space out your food, and the types of food you eat, throughout your day? I.e. maybe you need to add more fibre to the meals/snacks you eat later in the day. Changing around your eating schedule can keep you feeling fuller at those times when you are currently feeling tempted.

There's also the go-to of drinking water when you are feeling like this.

You may also want to try having a safe "go to" snack for when you are really craving in the evenings, to keep you from breaking into something less "approved". For me, this go to is fat-free mozzarella (not sure why, it just works for me!).
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    im the same, night time is the worse. lately i have been doing my nails and toe nails.. plucking my eyebrows... reading... doing the dishes.. anything to keep me busy. sometimes hopping on MFP or anywhere with motivation really helps too.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Why does ceral have to be crap?
    I can't see diary to give advice there.
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I find I like to eat at night because I'm bored. So I try to plan my meals so that I can have a healthy snack at night. I also have a cup of tea because I find it satisfying.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I eat over half of my daily calories 7-8pm and this deals with the night time munchies and stops me waking up hungry in the night.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    What time of the day you eat doesn't matter so if you want you can save your calories for the night time when you get most hungry. Try drinking plenty of water and make sure you're getting enough protein. Also maybe eat high fiber to keep you full.

We don't know how much you're eating though so you might be depriving yourself.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    coke zero. makes you feel bloated and you think you ate a cow!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to be hungry at that time of day, plan ahead. You don't have to deny yourself. Have some snacks that you prepare ahead of time and have them planned into your day. That puts you back in control.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    That has been me lately.. I found a light popcorn that is only 230 calories for a whole bag so you can pig out and are super full after...
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...been eating a bag of popcorn almost every night....smh.
  • tarisa222
    tarisa222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i been on a low carb diet and i eat some almonds when i feel like that. maybe like 10. eat them slow but its worked for me and its a healthy food
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies (sliced cucumbers, zucchini, or yellow squash are all good) and a tiny bit of hummus. The hummus will give you the flavor that you're craving out of snacks and the veggies will give you something to munch on without racking up calories.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I liked to binge at night alone etc. Mostly because I was lonely or bored!

It was so bad I had to just stop eating at night because I would binge the entire night if left alone. I took out all my favorit binge foods first and started keeping track of how much I was eating at night alone and was shocked! I would allow myself to eat but had to wait 30 mins from the time I decided I was "hungry" until I could eat something. After about a month of doing this I realized that most of my binges were caused because of depression/sadness or just bored out of my mind :)
  • fernamber
    fernamber Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I've added a new 'night time munchies' section to my log. I log in what I'm going to allow myself to eat in the morning so I save enough calories for it. I workout shortly before I allow myself to eat this then if I feel like eating more I have think 'Do I want to repeat the workout I just did' :D