Had no idea cleaning the house burned so much

Options
So, I don't get a lot of actual exercise at this point, going to try to add it into my day soon. Anyway, I had no idea cleaning house burned so many calories, never even thought to add it into my daily exercise. I decided what the heck and it says three hours of cleaning vigorously burns 700 some calories. Guess I am getting a little bit more exercise than the nothing that I thought I was.

Replies

• jaf129
    jaf129 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for that I didn't know that and haven't added it either. Like you I must be getting more exercise than I thought. I suppose doing the housework must help with the weight loss.:flowerforyou:
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    I am going to have the cleanest house on the block now knowing this
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn near that much. And I wouldn't bother adding living normal life in any exercise log as exercise.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    If you are set on "sedentary" add everything active that you do- be it walking for a long time or cleaning. However, if you are set at "active" make sure you only log if you cleaned for an extended period of time and/or it was moderately tasking.
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    I am pretty sedentary, I don't really exercise at all so...I am going to start adding everything extra that I do and def. not eat back those calories.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn near that much. And I wouldn't bother adding living normal life in any exercise log as exercise.

It def counts if she is set to sedentry and it outside a normal daily routine. Its probably too high a guess though, I only log half or less of my cleaning time.
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    I was only going off of what MFP says it is. I wouldn't doubt it is close though, if you are moving non stop scrubbing floors, running up and down stairs to get laundry, vacuuming etc...I bet it burns off a lot more than you would think
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I was only going off of what MFP says it is. I wouldn't doubt it is close though, if you are moving non stop scrubbing floors, running up and down stairs to get laundry, vacuuming etc...I bet it burns off a lot more than you would think

MFP's estimations on calories burned can be extremely off at times. House cleaning is part of your every day life. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have considered it exercise before trying to lose weight, so why do it now? Put some work-out gear on and run, walk, do yoga, lift some weights, go hiking, rock-climbing, play a sport, do a workout video. Do exercise not housework for your exercise.