Diet Soda!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• soupandsandwich
    soupandsandwich Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered too, about Crystal light. It has the same artificial sweeteners, doesn't it? So is it really any better?
    I think it might have less chemicals, and you might feel like you're drinking something healthier, but I also think Crystal light should be used about the same as any soda. As a treat, and once in awhile thing.
    Although I do like the kinds with a bit of caffeine in the mornings. I suppose 1 every morning wouldn't be too bad.
  • JMAN1975
    Options
    I usually have 1 - 2 diet drinks a day. Plus crystal lite. Plain water - I just can't handle. Might be in my head - but haven't been able to drink it plain for over 3 years. I've tried not to drink soda but it hasn't worked. Good luck.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Soda has stuff in it that leaches the calcium from your bones and Crystal Lite doesn't so that's one way Crystal Light is better. Sometimes soda can have more sodium. Depends on the brand, though.

Also, the colas stain your teeth! (yes, that's important to me. :laugh: )
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The mystery of squash solved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

I knew I'd heard that term before in a "Fawlty Towers" episode!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of having a challange. I used to drink 5 cans of Mountain Dew a day, my husband didn't belive I could quit so we made a bet. No soda for a month and I could clean out his closet and donate all his old clothes. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I have never had a caffenated soda since! It was a very hard first month but I made it. Good Luck.

Good Job!!!! You were drinking one of the worst drinks out there. I watched a program with Diane Sawyer about the Kentucky Coal Mines and the poor people in that area. It showed the people with no teeth or rotten teeth and the dentist that was donating his services to these people said it was because of them drinking Mountain Dew. He said it was the worst drink over all others, it has the most sugar, and is the most addicting.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There has been studies showing that people that drink diet soda gain more weight than drinking regular. I just quit cold turkey.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    There has been studies showing that people that drink diet soda gain more weight than drinking regular. I just quit cold turkey.

I read this a lot too. The sweetness tricks your body into thinking that sweet = no calories, so over time your body doesn't work as hard to burn calories when it registers "sweet" It follows along the ideas of the clean food diet and eliminating chemicals from our diets. Our bodies don't know how to process the chemicals - that's what leads to problems.
  • pinkpoole
    Options
    I too ditched the diet soda awhile ago, and I was surprised how easy it was! (Actually, I ditched ALL caffiene for two months, but I couldn't live without tea & coffee). I would really love to wean off the Crystal LIght too, because I just don't think the aspartame is good for me. I went on to webmd to research it, and I stumbled accross this & thought you might be interrested. (I hope it's not illegal to post this - sorry, I'm new). It's the best drinks for weight loss:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/slideshow-skinny-sipping
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The mystery of squash solved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

I knew I'd heard that term before in a "Fawlty Towers" episode!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AHA! Thank you so much! I knew there had to be something/more to it!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Actually the studies only showed the people who drink diet soda are fatter on average than people who drink regular soda. But the studies were only looking at correlation, not causation.

There are a number of theories as to why this could be, but at this point no one really knows why. One theory is that fat people drink diet soda thinking it will help when it doesn't. So the diet soda isnt't making them fat, it's just not helping them lose.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :smile:My husband and I use ti drink Mt. Dew like crazy. W e then scaled back to just Gatorade. We now have an even better goal: Soda's on Saturday's only... makes it more of a treat:happy: but only diet soda's on Saturday's for us...
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Who is a soda junkie(mine is pepsi) but trying or have weened themselves from this drink? I have been only having a diet soda about 3-4 times a week but i don't know how healthy that really is. I am trying to just not drink soda at all but in the afternoon when i need that caffeine it is hard not to drink one especially when it is diet and no cals. Any advice?:grumble:

3-4 times a week is fine

water is the drink of choice, but even a can of diet soda a day is fine IMO