So if diet is 80%.....

Options

Replies

• ChrisRN75495
    Options
    I guess if you want to buy books, that's fine, but I'm pretty sure no one every lost weight reading.

Here's the deal. It's very simple.

Eat a varied diet. 90 percent from plant sources, 10 percent from animal sources (as little from four footed ones as you can stand). Eat as much as you want as long as you follow the 90-10 rule. This is per Dr. Oz. You can see it on his website.

I still dont know what the "so if diet is 80%...." refers to.

Avoid white flour, white rice, white sugar.

Do not eat processed food or fast food or restaurant food.

It helps if you cook for yourself--burns calories and makes getting your food satisfying.

If you can't or won't cook, stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables that require little or no preparation. Then eat them.

Use the tools on this site (or some similar site) under the "food" and "exercise" tabs. I check before I eat sometimes--and sometimes I make a change in my plans.

I dropped 16 lb in 2 months sticking with this plan.

I didn't buy a book.

Maybe this will help you--good luck, everybody.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I guess if you want to buy books, that's fine, but I'm pretty sure no one every lost weight reading.

I didn't buy a book.

Whether you buy a book, or get it from the library, or download the ebook illegally, or watch youtube videos, it doesn't matter, but educating yourself on health is a VERY good idea for a well rounded approach to better health.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to spend any money just yet, take a look at this list of free and cheap nutrition books at Amazon. You'll need own a Kindle or download the Kindle software to your desktop, phone or tablet. But, free is worth a little effort.

I can't speak for the quality of the books listed though, so fair warning.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=digital-text&field-keywords=nutrition'#/ref=sr_st?keywords=nutrition&qid=1339946445&rh=n:133140011,k:nutrition&sort=price
  • carld256
    Options

I read while I'm walking, one of the benefits of a treadmill.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options

I didn't buy a book.

Whether you buy a book, or get it from the library, or download the ebook illegally, or watch youtube videos, it doesn't matter, but educating yourself on health is a VERY good idea for a well rounded approach to better health.
    I never said any different. There's a lot of free info out there. And no one ever lost weight reading.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    If you don't want to spend any money just yet, take a look at this list of free and cheap nutrition books at Amazon. You'll need own a Kindle or download the Kindle software to your desktop, phone or tablet. But, free is worth a little effort.

I can't speak for the quality of the books listed though, so fair warning.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=digital-text&field-keywords=nutrition'#/ref=sr_st?keywords=nutrition&qid=1339946445&rh=n:133140011,k:nutrition&sort=price
    Love "free" and "cheap." thanks!
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options

I read while I'm walking, one of the benefits of a treadmill.
    Pretty sure you are losing weight because of the exercise. If reading helps you exercise, great! Congrats!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Most stuff from Lyle McDonald are good!
    The Protein Book.
    Stubborn Fat solution.

On Lifting:
    Beyond Brawn
    Starting Strength
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

I didn't buy a book.

I never said any different. There's a lot of free info out there. And no one ever lost weight reading.

There's a LOT more free MISinformation out there than there is in books.

I lose weight reading. It educates me to make better choices and to recognize the misinformation that derails people. Plus I listen to audiobooks while walking and also read at the laptop at a treadmill desk.

Not to mention reading during your leisure time gets you away from the television with its awful food commercials.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan. It simply contains common sense we often forget. Things like food should rot, with the exception of honey, of course. And treats should be treated as treats - not something you eat every day. If someone's grandmother didn't recognize something as food, it probably isn't. There's nothing wrong with potato chips - as long as you make them at home from scratch. (The theory is that if you only eat chips that way, you won't have them often.)
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I really liked Food Rules by Michael Pollan. It's a tiny book with a short sentence or two on each page. it's great to pick up and skim through occasionally to remind yourself about the basics!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    And no one ever lost weight reading.
    The brain uses a lot of energy. You might lose weight reading if you weren't eating a lot. Probably not a lot, though. I wonder how many calories you burn reading?

And educating myself on the consequences of certain types of food helps keep me from eating them, which indirectly leads to weight loss. It's worth the couch time, in the long run.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I really found rick Gallop - GI Diet to be really easy to follow and really informative about good food choices. The traffic light system it uses easily highlights which foods to avoid and there are some surprises in there too
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    The "so if diet is 80%" refers to the fact that everyone says weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise :)

Obviously I don't think reading a book is going to make me lose weight, but like others have said being educated is the best way to be healthy. I am not the type of person that is going to eat certain things just because someone tells me to.....which is why I don't do "diets"......I want to know WHY to eat certain foods, what they do for my body, why my body needs them, why certain foods can hurt your body, etc.

We also have a long trip coming up so I was thinking and audio book would give my husband and I something to listen to together and discuss on the trip :-)

I agree that there is a lot of BAD info online. I definitely trust books written by MD's or people with lots of nutrition experience way more than a blog or website.

Thanks everyone!!!!!
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    I would look into the "You" books by Dr Oz. I started reading one and it just breaks down how food/macronutrients work and why it's important to you. I think I was reading "You on a Diet", but I can't remember because I have his first two "You" books. But I thought the content was easy to read and understand.

I love Dr. Oz, thanks!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" Caldwell Esselstyn (includes recipes) READ THIS ONE ASAP!

"Engine 2 Diet" Rip Esselstyn (includes recipes) Rip is the only author i listed who isn't a doctor. He is Caldwell Esselstyn's son, and he was a triathlete, now he is a firefighter in Texas.)

"Eat To Live" Dr. Joel Fuhrman

"The China Study" Dr. Colin Campbell

"The Starch Solution" Dr. John Mcdougall

"80/10/10 Diet" Dr. Doug Graham

The top one is one to read ASAP! It's not just about weight loss, but how to keep yourself healthy into old age. It's written by one of the most respected heart surgeons in the world, regarding his 20+ year study on diet's effect on heart health.

Not everyone wants to be a vegan or vegetarian and is not necessary for good health. In fact, I have seen more vegans / vegetarians that have had major health issues than ones I have seen experience good health.

We are omnivores, not herbivores.
  • carld256
    Options
    Can we please not do this again? There's a whole thread set up for bashing vegetarians already going on.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I would look into the "You" books by Dr Oz. I started reading one and it just breaks down how food/macronutrients work and why it's important to you. I think I was reading "You on a Diet", but I can't remember because I have his first two "You" books. But I thought the content was easy to read and understand.

I love Dr. Oz, thanks!

Dr Oz is a quack.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Can we please not do this again? There's a whole thread set up for bashing vegetarians already going on.

Stating FACTS is not bashing. I learned this from experience and from DOCTORS
  • carld256
    Options
    Uh-huh....

Thanks, but I'll keep getting my information from DOCTORS i trust, not off some random Paleoperson on the internet.