Food Myths, the Media & Lawyers (Oh My)

Options

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Playing Devil's advocate for a moment...

cocoa krispies has fewer g of sugars per serving than 6 oz. of yogurt or 5.3 oz of Greek yogurt...

That being said, I'm of the mindset that just about anything can be PART of a healthy, balanced diet. All things in moderation...

ps. I don't think that this has anything to do with food stamps. I also don't think that just because someone has food stamps, they're automatically "uneducated." That's a little harsh (and a gross generalization), IMO.
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just spent far too much time "discussing" this post with my husband (he's a CPA/CISA/CITP, but I think he wants to be an attorney when he grows up). His considered opinion is that, with regards to the serving size issue, that the culpirt is regulations and that the food companies are merely taking advantage of the "loopholes" and the ignorance, wilful or otherwise, of the consumer.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I just spent far too much time "discussing" this post with my husband (he's a CPA/CISA/CITP, but I think he wants to be an attorney when he grows up). His considered opinion is that, with regards to the serving size issue, that the culpirt is regulations and that the food companies are merely taking advantage of the "loopholes" and the ignorance, wilful or otherwise, of the consumer.

Who in their right mind would ever want to be a lawyer. ;)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I used to work for attorneys...

...I don't anymore.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    ps. I don't think that this has anything to do with food stamps. I also don't think that just because someone has food stamps, they're automatically "uneducated." That's a little harsh (and a gross generalization), IMO.

Statistics show that people who live in poverty are more likely to be obese and be uneducated about nutrition. Your bleeding heart does not change facts.

And I did not say that every single person who uses FS is uneducated. Not at all. You're looking for a reason to be offended because you don't like the truth.

Maybe instead of pretending like there isn't a problem (poor people are more likely to be fat) we could acknowledge the facts AND WORK TO FIX IT.
  • Liasings
    Options

Who in their right mind would ever want to be a lawyer. ;)

I haven't figured out who would want to be a CPA, yet, let alone a lawyer. Lol.
  • gchutson
    Options

...I don't anymore.

I need to start a "lawyer joke" string. We love them.
  • Liasings
    Options

...I don't anymore.

I need to start a "lawyer joke" string. We love them.

I am a paralegal. I work in property management. 'nuf said.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    But I wasn't joking.... XD
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if Disney stops advertising. Kids see that crap in the store and beg mommy to buy it or mommy sees the bright colors and health claims and thinks its kid food.

The only, ONLY thing that will ever help is for parents to educate themselves on what their kids should be eating.

On second though, I bet if you couldn't buy that crap with food stamps sales would plummet.

I'm not a fan of food stamps. They taste horrible.

It may sound insensitive but... these companies have a huge base of uneducated parents subsidized by the government. If all of a sudden the government teat was taken away and FS money could only be spent on food that meets certain nutritional standards, the food companies would follow.

I don't think it's insensitive at all! It's very upsetting to stand in the grocery line watching people pile crap onto the conveyor belt and see them whip out their FS card. Why should I have to subsidize someone else's crappy eating, then subsidize their medical care afterward?

However, I don't know about meeting nutritional standards. If you mean the USDA standards, this is the same entity that proclaimed pizza was a vegetable. School lunches didn't meet USDA criteria, so rather than change the food to meet the standards, they changed the standards. It's ridiculous!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Bzzzztttt!

You just hit one of my hot buttons. I become incensed over deliberately misleading labeling.

You know those "single serve" heat and eat pasta bowls? I don't know anyone who splits those with anyone else. Yet, if you read the label, you will discover that the one bowl of chicken and wild-rice that you would keep in your desk drawer so you can "eat healthy" is actually considered 1.5 servings. It infuriates me so. It is pure marketing and eveeel bamboozling.

Yeah... that "serving size" crap annoys the hell out of me.

I know right? who eats 1/2 a pack of Ramen noodles, or 1/2 a can of Progesso or Campbell chunky soup, or just 1/2 a cup of ice cream!
  • gchutson
    Options
    Bzzzztttt!

You just hit one of my hot buttons. I become incensed over deliberately misleading labeling.

You know those "single serve" heat and eat pasta bowls? I don't know anyone who splits those with anyone else. Yet, if you read the label, you will discover that the one bowl of chicken and wild-rice that you would keep in your desk drawer so you can "eat healthy" is actually considered 1.5 servings. It infuriates me so. It is pure marketing and eveeel bamboozling.

I know right? who eats 1/2 a pack of Ramen noodles, or 1/2 a can of Progesso or Campbell chunky soup, or just 1/2 a cup of ice cream!

Midgets.
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Bzzzztttt!

I am fun sized.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Bzzzztttt!

I am fun sized.

Oompa Loompas rule.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    It doesn't matter if Disney stops advertising. Kids see that crap in the store and beg mommy to buy it or mommy sees the bright colors and health claims and thinks its kid food.

The only, ONLY thing that will ever help is for parents to educate themselves on what their kids should be eating.

On second though, I bet if you couldn't buy that crap with food stamps sales would plummet.

It may sound insensitive but... these companies have a huge base of uneducated parents subsidized by the government. If all of a sudden the government teat was taken away and FS money could only be spent on food that meets certain nutritional standards, the food companies would follow.

I don't think it's insensitive at all! It's very upsetting to stand in the grocery line watching people pile crap onto the conveyor belt and see them whip out their FS card. Why should I have to subsidize someone else's crappy eating, then subsidize their medical care afterward?

However, I don't know about meeting nutritional standards. If you mean the USDA standards, this is the same entity that proclaimed pizza was a vegetable. School lunches didn't meet USDA criteria, so rather than change the food to meet the standards, they changed the standards. It's ridiculous!

I don't like seeing anyone put a bunch of crap on the belt-regardless of how they pay. But it's still none of my business...

We pay taxes. It's one tiny portion of what the taxes pay for. I'm much more against other things, but I won't get into politics here. It really isn't the place to bash people for being poor. That's a pretty low thing to do, IMO. Most people stuck in poverty would much rather be anywhere but there...
  • gchutson
    Options

I don't like seeing anyone put a bunch of crap on the belt-regardless of how they pay. But it's still none of my business...

We pay taxes. It's one tiny portion of what the taxes pay for. I'm much more against other things, but I won't get into politics here. It really isn't the place to bash people for being poor. That's a pretty low thing to do, IMO. Most people stuck in poverty would much rather be anywhere but there...

I respectfully disagree. I handle many cases in juvenile court. It never ceases to amaze me the parents that work so hard, to keep doing so little.

And I dig your picture. It's very Brady Bunch. ;)
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

It is extremely relevant to the conversation. No one is bashing poor people. It's like once you mention that something might not be ok (poor people being more likely to have less education about nutrition) you people put your fingers in your ears and start calling everyone mean. Come on.
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Bzzzztttt!

I am fun sized.

Oompa Loompas rule.

I am hardly an oOmpa loompa.for your height almost any woman hits that "standard"
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

It is extremely relevant to the conversation. No one is bashing poor people. It's like once you mention that something might not be ok (poor people being more likely to have less education about nutrition) you people put your fingers in your ears and start calling everyone mean. Come on.

"you people"?? Just what kind of "people" am I? Please enlighten me.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Bzzzztttt!

I am fun sized.

Oompa Loompas rule.

I am hardly an oOmpa loompa.for your height almost any woman hits that "standard"

I'm a beast.