Can't net 1200

Options
I can never seem to net 1200 calories on days when I'm active (most days). Today I'm barely clearing 400. I've been doing this for years and haven't gained or lost weight. If I eat more, I'll gain. I'm not sure about the whole starvation mode, I don't feel like I'm starving but...it's been so long, it's hard to tell. Suggestions?

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    When you eat a low number of calories for an extended period of time, you will eventually get used to it and not feel hungry. I'm going to stay away from the whole 'starvation mode' word to just avoid any debate on the subject. However, your body probably has adjusted to your current consumption. If you begin eating more, you will likely start putting on weight. However, your body will adjust again. I used to net around 1200 (mind you I am 6'1 and weighed around 270 at the time). Even at my size, my body adjusted to that intake and stopped losing weight. Like you, I wasn't even feeling hungry.

If you want to increase your calories, I highly recommend going to a website and calculating your TDEE (the number of calories you burn in a 24 hour period). You can cut around 10-15% off that number and lose at a nice rate. I started doing it about a month and half ago. I initially gained 5lbs. As of the last 3 weeks, I am steadily losing 1+ lbs a week. I am eating almost twice as many calories as I was when I originally stalled.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Is that you in your photo? What is your BMI? You look underweight. I mean that as politely as possible, but I'm not so sure your body's got a whole anything more to give up.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    Curious as to what your goals are?? Do you want to maintain your weight, lose weight??
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Going by your diary, and how you look in the picture, I'd suggest the following diet changes.

Eat fruits. In your case, I'd go with higher calorie fruits - mango, banana, etc.
    Take out all the 'light' foods in your diet. Eat whole eggs, nuts, more nut butter, whole milk cheese, yogurt.
    Replace almond/coconut milk with whole milk.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to gluten, dairy, fish, seafood and fruit sugars (fructose) so it can be pretty hard to add things into my diet. I'm happy where I'm at. Don't need to lose, just maintain. I'll calculate my TDEE. Good suggestion. My BMI is 19. It used to be below 18 but somehow when I went off a medication last year I gained a few lbs. Likely water weight from a med that dehydrates.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    Definitely calculate your TDEE, just make sure you chose the correct activity level, and that you want to maintain your weight. The food allergies are hard to deal with, but as time goes on you'll be able to get those calories in. It will take some time for your body to adjust, don't freak out if you gain a few pounds.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Any immediate gain is likely a gain in glycogen and water. Don't be scared of the little extra you gain when you eat properly.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think you look great!

I have a similar problem I think. I, too, have a BMI of around 19, so proportionally I'm probably about your size. I've been maintaining now for about 2 years. Here's the deal: even though most every calculator on the web says I should be able to net about 1450 calories a day and maintain, I gain if I eat over 1300.

This is becoming very frustrating. I don't want to have to net 1200 calories for the rest of my life just to stay slim.

By the way, I exercise almost daily (run about 15-20 miles a week) and I eat back most of my calories most days, so by the numbers, this should be working. It worked for me for over a year. (including helping me lose 40 lbs). But all of a sudden for the past 8 months, the rules have changed!! I enjoy exercising, and I don't mind eating healthfully, but I'm tired of being hungry!

Any suggestions?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Nothing useful but sorry to hear about all those food allergies. That's got to be tough.
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You do look underweight, I think you should slowly up your calorie intake day by day so that you're body gets used to more calories.
  • IleneRachel
    Options
    I would say the same as a few others have said... slowly add some calories (using regular, rather than light/FF items can help with that). Don't worry initially if you gain a little weight. Some of it will be water weight. Do it slowly and your body will adjust. Good luck!