I hate breakfast! Change my mind!

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Okay, how about this. When you don't eat breakfast, and you don't have a lot of calories to your day, you have a larger chance of binging later in the day. Even a glass of juice or a smoothie can do a better job than nothing at all or just a cup of coffee. Coffee won't supply you with essential nutrients, juice and smoothies will. And a snack on a cereal bar between breakfast and lunch will stop the binging more than nothing at all, just list it in your snack section. Consider it "recess for adults" if you want. Something is ALWAYS better than nothing, and some breakfast, big or small, is better than no breakfast. Not only will it get you through your morning, it'll help you get through the rest of your day the right way!!! :bigsmile:
    I skip it (along with many other IF eaters) daily and have none of the issues you mention above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Why? If you don't like it, don't eat it.

This.

If you don't like it, don't eat it. I don't like spinach or broccoli or liver and no matter what ANYONE says about them -- you won't change my mind.
  • brokenwoman
    brokenwoman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Breakfast seems to give me a boost of energy during the morning, but it is not an essential meal, even though it helps me not crave much before lunch
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You should eat first thing in the morning to get your metabolism going. I have a chocolate protein shake with frozen strawberries and its like the consistency of a milkshake. Then I have my coffee afterwards. I eat every three hours.
    Your metabolism works while you sleep. Why do you think you weigh less after an 8 hour sleep? It's not because your metabolism stopped.

IDEA Fitness member
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i love breakfast foods.. but sometimes i rather wait a bit after i wake up to eat.. sometimes i am so hungry i wake up wanting to eat. i go with my body needs. sometimes breakfast can be at 4:30 am or 9 or 10 am. today i had chicken for breakfast. LOL. do what you feel works for you.
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast foods! Smoothies are awesome lighter alternatives for breakfast. Like another poster said, if you don't enjoy the traditional eggs/bacon/cereals/etc. then try something else. You can totally have sandwiches and soups if you'd like. I've had baked fish and veggies for breakfast before. If you don't like eating in the mornings, I can understand that. Just try to wait a bit and at least have something light. Getting proper nutrition is important!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, how about this. When you don't eat breakfast, and you don't have a lot of calories to your day, you have a larger chance of binging later in the day. Even a glass of juice or a smoothie can do a better job than nothing at all or just a cup of coffee. Coffee won't supply you with essential nutrients, juice and smoothies will. And a snack on a cereal bar between breakfast and lunch will stop the binging more than nothing at all, just list it in your snack section. Consider it "recess for adults" if you want. Something is ALWAYS better than nothing, and some breakfast, big or small, is better than no breakfast. Not only will it get you through your morning, it'll help you get through the rest of your day the right way!!! :bigsmile:
    I skip it (along with many other IF eaters) daily and have none of the issues you mention above.

IDEA Fitness member
    I'm not saying this happens to EVERYONE, I'm saying this happens to a good amount of people. There are people that go without breakfast and have no effect happen to them, but there are also a good amount of people who do go without it and this DOES happen. I'm saying that for those who have this problem, and yet they go without breakfast, they are setting themselves up for sabbotage, not for every single person. I should have clarified myself a little more than I did.
  • Casandra237
    Casandra237 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, I agree with everyone here, if you don't like it don't eat it. And if that works for you, then that's great and don't even worry about it. But for a lot of people, skipping breakfast means that they get very very hungry later in the day and if you don't have time to snack to curb that hunger then chances are you'll binge like crazy when you do finally get the chance to eat. So what I would recommend to you is to not eat typical breakfast foods if that's why you hate breakfast OR if you hate it because you're not hungry in the morning/don't feel like making something in the morning then try stopping all food the night before a little earlier. If you give yourself a time (like say 7pm or 8pm) and say I will not eat any food after this time, then you'll have a few hours before you go to bed in which you're not eating and you'll be more likely to be hungry when you wake up which will make you want to eat breakfast. Additionally, most people (I know I do!) tend to binge more at night, or even just eat out of boredom because there's nothing good on and no one's awake! So by cutting off food before you get to that point it may help some people to not overeat at night. I hope this helps!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, I agree with everyone here, if you don't like it don't eat it. And if that works for you, then that's great and don't even worry about it. But for a lot of people, skipping breakfast means that they get very very hungry later in the day and if you don't have time to snack to curb that hunger then chances are you'll binge like crazy when you do finally get the chance to eat. So what I would recommend to you is to not eat typical breakfast foods if that's why you hate breakfast OR if you hate it because you're not hungry in the morning/don't feel like making something in the morning then try stopping all food the night before a little earlier. If you give yourself a time (like say 7pm or 8pm) and say I will not eat any food after this time, then you'll have a few hours before you go to bed in which you're not eating and you'll be more likely to be hungry when you wake up which will make you want to eat breakfast. Additionally, most people (I know I do!) tend to binge more at night, or even just eat out of boredom because there's nothing good on and no one's awake! So by cutting off food before you get to that point it may help some people to not overeat at night. I hope this helps!
    This is what I'm trying to say. Thanks for wording it for me in the way I couldn't!!! :flowerforyou:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    But for a lot of people, skipping breakfast means that they get very very hungry later in the day and if you don't have time to snack to curb that hunger then chances are you'll binge like crazy when you do finally get the chance to eat.

Which is mostly of function of poor planning. If you skip an early morning meal and plan your meals later, then there is less chance of binging.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Most important meal of the day. Try brunch at about 11am.
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    Options
    The first food you eat in a day is your breakfast (as in you break the nightime fast) so EVERYONE has breakfast - just at different times.

If you dont like traditional breakfast items, have what you do like.
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Slim fast!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just do something, because it's right.
    I used to skip breakfast but no more.
    And in time I grew to like it though supper remains my favorite meal.
    Good Luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm trying to say. Thanks for wording it for me in the way I couldn't!!! :flowerforyou:

Honestly, this is nothing but opinion. Some people binge later if they skip breakfast. Some don't. I've never seen any statistical breakdown on this. If you have one that makes what you are stating fact as opposed to your opinion, feel free to post it but I think Niner and other have pretty much said it. Breakfast has no effect on metabolism and has not been proven to be the most important meal of the day. In fact there is a body of research that says when we eat in a 24 hour period is inconsequential.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I LOVE breakfast, I used to hate it as well, or just never eat it b ecause Ihad no time, not I can't imagine starting off my day without it.
    why do you hate it? like just the breakfast food in general? try eating something else?
  • Casandra237
    Casandra237 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Honestly, this is nothing but opinion. Some people binge later if they skip breakfast. Some don't. I've never seen any statistical breakdown on this. If you have one that makes what you are stating fact as opposed to your opinion, feel free to post it but I think Niner and other have pretty much said it. Breakfast has no effect on metabolism and has not been proven to be the most important meal of the day. In fact there is a body of research that says when we eat in a 24 hour period is inconsequential.

I never even mentioned the word metabolism. I also never said that when she ate in terms of a 24 hour schedule was important or implied that breakfast was "the most important meal of the day" but obviously the fact that she doesn't eat breakfast bugs her (hence the post), so that's why my answer is framed in a way that's relevant to breakfast. Furthermore as far as binging goes, I'm simply stating that it often occurs when you've gone without food for a while and your body feels like it has to have it. I guess the only thing I'd change in my original post is the word "most" to "a lot" sorry for the confusion but I really didn't think it was all that misleading.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I never even mentioned the word metabolism. I also never said that when she ate in terms of a 24 hour schedule was important or implied that breakfast was "the most important meal of the day" but obviously the fact that she doesn't eat breakfast bugs her (hence the post), so that's why my answer is framed in a way that's relevant to breakfast. Furthermore as far as binging goes, I'm simply stating that it often occurs when you've gone without food for a while and your body feels like it has to have it. I guess the only thing I'd change in my original post is the word "most" to "a lot" sorry for the confusion but I really didn't think it was all that misleading.

Well my response wasn't directly related to you or what you said but the whole thread. That being said, how are you concluding "a lot" or "most" when you make those statements? Just as a point of clarity, I practice Intermittent Fasting and do not eat for a 16 hour period and take all nutrition in an 8 hour period (for those who are familiar 16/8). I have not problem with binging later. Quite the opposite. I've gained control over my intake and am not compulisive in any way about food intake. I am not the only one who practices this. There are multiple theories built upon the principle of Intermittent Fasting. Two that come to mind are Leangains and Eat, Stop, Eat. I believe you are generalizing and editorializing without proof to substantiate your position. If I am incorrect, I would be happy to review the data you have that substantiates the "often", 'most" and "a lot" statements. If my understanding is incorrect, I would be happy to admit error and learn new information.

To the OP, there is no information I know of that says you should feel compelled to eat breakfast. Eat as you see fit!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you hate breakfast, don't eat it. When you eat is more of a personal rhythm than a rule. Go with works for you as long as you meet your nutritional/caloric needs.