HRM and TDEE?

Options
According to my HRM, I my TDEE for today was 3600 calories! All I did was sit on the couch and watch the US open.

First, should I be concerned that my TDEE is well into the 3000 range when I am not even being active? And second, how accurate are heart rate monitors anyway?

SilMarillion.

Replies

• Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Give me your stats and I can determine for you.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have read that a HRM is only accurate for cardio type exercise because of the calculations. For a better estimate you would need a body bug or body fit media. I only have a HRM and only wear it for jogging.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure HRM's are only for use during exercise. Any other time, they aren't accurate. I read that on here somewhere... of course, opinions change on here daily, depending on the [bro]science of the day...
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I just got a HRM. I wore mine for my 12 hour work day (i am active on my feet the whole day) and i burned 1450ish. I set my MFP to maintanence calories and it put me at 2400 set as active, so if i burned another 950 at rest then MFP is spot on. I also wore it for a jog and then compared to logging exercise in MFP and it was deadly accurate as well. I didn't wear my HRM at rest so I don't know how accurate they are then, but I would be curious if anybody does know the stats.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    HRM assume exercise. They really aren't good for anything but steady state cardio.