Losing while sad and anxious?

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My life is kind of a mess right now and I'm way up in my weight. I really wana lose but I'm struggling with anxiety/depression and it makes it so hard to workout. I have like no energy. I'm also an emotional EATER and when I get anxious/bored/depressed I just want to eat everything. I don't feel like myself being this heavy so I really WANT to lose it but its SO hard. Has anyone else here lost even though they are struggling in other areas of their life? I'm hoping to see it's possible and give me some hope.

I feel ya...I really do...my favorite drugs of choice are made by Hershey's and Godiva. I "self medicated" myself into gaining 50 pounds over 3 years.

I tried so hard to lose those 50 pounds, but I would lose 10 pounds or so, then gain it back. Told hubby that if I had a Y membership I *could* do it--not having a gym membership was holding me back. When he finally got one, I HAD to prove to him that I could do it. I have heard it said that it takes 21 days to create a habit...so the first few weeks I went to the Y Monday- Friday. I dropped down to 3 days a week when I started getting calf cramps. After the first month, I started getting twitchy if I couldn't do that 3 days a week at the Y. Pretty sure I get a "runner's high" from my treadmill work now. People at the Y started noticing...the hot trainer started smiling and saying Hi...some older ladies told me they had noticed my dedication. And most importantly, I saw a few pictures of myself. I have only lost 17 pounds, but I think it looks like much more--check them out!

when you want to eat, and you think it might be an emotional thing, put yourself off--take a 15 minute walk before you allow yourself to snack. It will create endorphins that help alleviate the anxiety/depression. One thing I didn't mention before--I have been treated for clinical depression off and on for the last 20 years. I'm sure I have some level of depression ALL the time> going to work out 4x a week has definitely helped!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sending a hug, Its hard, its horrible, motivation seems to have vanished but remember when you went for that walk outside, and you seen the sun shining? or the water on the flower petal? or the little kid jumping in puddles soaking his mother? Seriously getting out and about and eating healthier will help you feel better. It doesnt cure it completely but it can make you feel so damn good that you can control at least one thing thats going on. If you need any help or support then feel free to add me. I know how you feel :-) Believe it or not the people on MFP are actually pretty damn nice. Chin up :-)
  • patltrimble
    Options
    What inspiration! Thanks from all of us who have depression & stress at our dooestep & have Made it through 1 more day!:happy: