Weird weight gain!

rolandhulme
rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Everybody always says 'muscle weighs more than fat' but is that true?

I've just started weight lifting - although I'm sticking to a 500-calorie deficit diet - and noticed some bulges to my formerly linguini-like arms. But I also noticed I'm GAINING weight instead of losing it - like 3lbs that I've had for about a week now.

Can I actually claim that this is 'muscle weight' or has my wife been feeding me cookies in the middle of the night or something?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    a week with a new workout program? I don't think I'd call it a victory yet, but it's encouraging. Generally you gain weight at the start of a weight training program because you start to use formerly inactive muscle fibers, this causes the body to hold more glycogen at the muscle, glycogen is a heavy liquid, and it makes you gain a little weight. This is ok, it's NOT fat, and it's needed to help you push through those times where you need a little extra juice to make it through that routine. While it's not technically muscle gain, it's related, and healthy, and it means you're doing the right thing! Good work.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the info - I was wondering what was going on. I might have to hit you up with more newbie questions in the future - hope you don't mind!
  • a week with a new workout program? I don't think I'd call it a victory yet, but it's encouraging. Generally you gain weight at the start of a weight training program because you start to use formerly inactive muscle fibers, this causes the body to hold more glycogen at the muscle, glycogen is a heavy liquid, and it makes you gain a little weight. This is ok, it's NOT fat, and it's needed to help you push through those times where you need a little extra juice to make it through that routine. While it's not technically muscle gain, it's related, and healthy, and it means you're doing the right thing! Good work.

This guy is awesome!
  • SHBoss1673
    Awesome! Thanks for the info - I was wondering what was going on. I might have to hit you up with more newbie questions in the future - hope you don't mind!

fire away, I'll do my best to answer any questions you have. or point you to where you can find good answers if I can't.
  • SHBoss1673
    a week with a new workout program? I don't think I'd call it a victory yet, but it's encouraging. Generally you gain weight at the start of a weight training program because you start to use formerly inactive muscle fibers, this causes the body to hold more glycogen at the muscle, glycogen is a heavy liquid, and it makes you gain a little weight. This is ok, it's NOT fat, and it's needed to help you push through those times where you need a little extra juice to make it through that routine. While it's not technically muscle gain, it's related, and healthy, and it means you're doing the right thing! Good work.

This guy is awesome!

why, thank you my dear!:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.