Is Bread Bad?

Options
mehaffeymk
mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
I'm just starting on my weight loss journey and I'm now really starting to freak out by what I put in my body because I'm so hell-bent on losing weight. My trainer has been giving me ideas of what to eat and he says to eat my main carbs of the day in the morning. But I've been seeing lots of people freaking out about eating bread at all. I'm not much of a breakfast person and I'm usually on the go/running late somewhere, so I usually make a turkey sandwich with whole grain bread in the morning. Two slices is 200 calories and I've been having trouble consuming all the calories I need for a day so that helps my intake. But is that much bread bad? I'm so confused!

Replies

• Jimmy_Jojo
    Jimmy_Jojo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I tend to have a ham sandwich for lunch. I try not to eat too much of it later in the day, but it's a great source of energy, so as long as you're not eating it around dinner you should be fine.

White bread isn't the best as it has a lot of sugars and preserves from what I've heard. A friend of mine is a nutritionist and she always tries to get me to eat wholegrain or rye breads, it's still bread but much better for you....lol unfortunately I love white bread, so I have trouble sticking to that. As long as you're staying under your calorie goal, it shouldn't be too bad for you. And 1 sandwich worth definitely shouldn't be too much.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with wholemeal bread just avoid the over processed white varieties.
    I used to not eat bread and felt constantly deprived, it made me crave fats and carbs etc so sabotaged all my efforts.
    your turkey sandwich is an ideal meal . just avoid using butter with it (try avocado for some good fats instead).
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    No bread is not bad
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of bread per day and have lost 32lb since March 2012, I was about 327lb when I started though so comes off quick to start
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bread is a carbohydrate, so it is implicated in the high carb low fat obesity epidemic. So some people will avoid it as they are eating less carbohydrates. Other opinions are available.
  • denysebur
    denysebur Posts: 6
    Options
    I think a few slices is fine whole grain is better but as long as it is early in the day you should be fine :-)
  • lizzie093
    lizzie093 Posts: 81
    Options
    buttercup whole meal bread is ONLY 111 calories for 2 slices.
    really low in fat and sugar aswell, one of the healthiest.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bread bad?! I think bread is good! All hale thee all mighty carb!
  • amberneth0206
    Options
    Bread is not bad at all. It does have around 100 calories per slice but it has the needed fiber in it for your diet. Try to go more towards wheat bread!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I make fresh bread at home and eat rice, bread or pasta almost daily. I've been losing decently.

The only reason I can see folks avoiding bread is when they're on a high protein diet where they get most of their calories via protein so in order to stay in their calorie range they avoid carbs.

I personally like to eat my carbs/proteins/fats at a moderate level. As long as I cook most of them at home and I can budget them into my calories
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It depends on your tolerance for it, and carbs in general for that matter (taking into account your age, metabolic state, etc).

I read "Wheat Belly" and this tied in with some other research I had been doing so I decided to quit grains initially for a month. It's best thing I've done apart from quitting the sugar. I just feel less bloated, irritable and 'snacky'.

I eat the same number of calories these days (as evidenced by the fact I have always logged everything into MFP) but the weight is falling off, especially the abdominal fat so it isn't just calories in/calories out.

Personally I think the purported benefits of grains can be got elsewhere.

Brown rice? Wholegrain? Makes no odds to me, I don't think my body needs 'em ...
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Mountain Bread? Like a wrap but less calories - available through health food stores.
  • michaelinnc84
    michaelinnc84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am forgoing all bread right now because I believe them to be hindering my weight loss and affecting my body in other negative ways. So far I don't have the crashing feeling after coming off a carb high and I have more energy and loosing weight more quickly. Also it seems to have cleared up my irratible bowl syndrom and acid reflux so I think I might have been gluten intollerance. I really think different people have different metablisims so it depends on your body and what is right for you.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad if you eat too much of it. White, brown, wholemeal whatever. Eat in moderation and you don't have a problem. Eat a whole loaf and you do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Barring gluten or wheat allergies / sensitivities there's no reason to forgo eating bread unless you're trying to reduce your carbs. If you're staying within your calorie goal and enjoy eating it keep it as par of your diet (if you're eating white bread consider a whole grain /multi-grain variety, more nutritious, more fibre etc)

As to the timing of carb intake..........I'd classify that as dubious advice, it's your daily totals that count not what time of day you consume them.
  • laxwyo
    laxwyo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes. Bread is bad if you want to stay under your calorie goal. I love garlic bread but found that I would rather eat a slightly bigger portion of my dinner instead of eating bread. Whole wheat! If whole wheat is not the first ingredient, don't eat it.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    Momma said bread is the devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I eat bread (and it's not even wholemeal) whenever I want - regardless of time of day. As long as it fits within my calorie goal and my macros, I don't see why it matters.

It didn't seem to hinder my weight loss or fitness improvement at all.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    omnomnom :3
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    But I've been seeing lots of people freaking out about eating bread at all.

People like to find easily indentified culprits to blame for their struggles. It is easy to point at certain foods or food groups and say "I won't eat x and I'll lose weight -- x is the problem!" It's the same concept (generally) that makes programs such as NutriSystem sell so well. They claim they have isolated THE source of weight / health issues and now they can help you overcome it.

Unless you have an allergy or intolerance, there is nothing wrong with eating bread. Some breads are certainly nutritionally better for you than others. Calories aside, breads like WonderBread and Sara Lee and most of the other crap in the supermarkets are nutritionally bankrupt. Real breads are hearty and healthy and delicious. Try finding an independent baker near you, maybe at a farmer's market.

You will gain weight if you eat too much, bread or anything else. You will lose weight if your calorie intake is less than your calorie output.