Krav Maga Anyone?

Options
I am thinking about starting Krav Maga classes. I watched some videos online and it looks fun but challenging. I also am interested in it because I want to learn self defense. If I could learn something that would get me into shape and possibly help save my life some day that would be awesome!!!. So has anyone on MFP tried Krav Maga. If so, what were the fitness and muscle tone results? Also, do you feel better prepared to defend yourself. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I am thinking about starting Krav Maga classes. I watched some videos online and it looks fun but challenging. I also am interested in it because I want to learn self defense. If I could learn something that would get me into shape and possibly help save my life some day that would be awesome!!!. So has anyone on MFP tried Krav Maga. If so, what were the fitness and muscle tone results? Also, do you feel better prepared to defend yourself. Thanks for reading.

Alot of Krav Maga is taught in military hand-to-hand. Its a great work out. Alot of grapplers and brazilian juijitsu practioners complain because it goes against the grain. Alot of is about staying on your feet instead of taking the fight to the ground. All I know is, Israeli's are some of the baddest mothereffers I've ever met. Its good technique. Especially when it comes to disarming your attacker; whether it be a baseball bat or an assault rifle. Also, some good rifle defense technique. Busting faces open, good stuff.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    OMG! I took one class and it was the most awesome thing I've ever done in my life!!!! The time hasn't been right, nor the finances to take regular classes until recently. I am going to start this fall/winter. I had bruises all over my knuckles, arms, legs, etc and came away with the biggest endorphin high of my life!!! If you can do it, go for it!!! And I loved the instructor's statement about the purpose of Krav Maga...it's so YOU walk away from an attack and your attacker doesn't!!!! Try it!!! I loved it!!!
    Now you've got me all excited about getting started this fall!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!

Becky
  • xsargex
    Options
    OMG! I took one class and it was the most awesome thing I've ever done in my life!!!! The time hasn't been right, nor the finances to take regular classes until recently. I am going to start this fall/winter. I had bruises all over my knuckles, arms, legs, etc and came away with the biggest endorphin high of my life!!! If you can do it, go for it!!! And I loved the instructor's statement about the purpose of Krav Maga...it's so YOU walk away from an attack and your attacker doesn't!!!! Try it!!! I loved it!!!
    Now you've got me all excited about getting started this fall!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!

Becky

Their rifle drills are insane. Your outta bullets. You still got multiple armed attackers coming at you. Your just trying to get the eff outta dodge. Every inch of that weapon IS A weapon. Barrel/muzzle to the eyes and nose. Rifle-butt to the skull or groin. No wonder they got Palestenians throwing rocks and blowing themselves up....I don't want my groin and eyes smashed in either.

They have the other motto....if your on the ground, your dead.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the great response. You have made my mind up. If I can afford, it I am so going to do it. xsargex I agree with you that Israeli's are total badasses. Beckyi88 if you happen to be in the Roswell, GA area we should try to go to classes together and encourage each other. Otherwise good luck on with your classes in the fall. I am glad to hear so much excitement about it!!!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the great response. You have made my mind up. If I can afford, it I am so going to do it. xsargex I agree with you that Israeli's are total badasses. Beckyi88 if you happen to be in the Roswell, GA area we should try to go to classes together and encourage each other. Otherwise good luck on with your classes in the fall. I am glad to hear so much excitement about it!!!

Close, but not that close! :tongue: South Carolina!
  • xsargex
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...lack of funds to tackle any martial art or defensive course. I really wanna get into Judo which is basically a dumbed down version of Japanese JuiJitsu. If I could find a few months to hang out in Japan with my brother-in-law, who teaches Kendo; that would be super-cool as well.

But we have a Krav Maga school here in Kansas City. I've heard its very respectable, so I might need to stop by and check it out sometime.

Good luck with your endeavors.