Advice on how much exercise should I be doing??

Options
2»

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You don't need a vlc diet to lose weight. I have eaten 1420 to 2000 or more calories the past 5 months and have lost weight. 450 is insane please stop the diet.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Heres an interesting point.......

"The Cambridge Diet VLCD (very low calorie diet) consists of shakes, soups and bars. It provides only 800 calories a day, and its high-protein, low-carbohydrate formula promotes a mild ketosis that protects lean tissue while burning fat. VLCDs should be medically supervised. Fluids and electrolytes should be monitored and there are other side effects such as severe constipation. The diet also neglects to teach a new way of eating and coping, and so lost weight is quickly regained. You must address those missing parts to make it work."

So at 450cals OP is doing it wrong anyway.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Heres an interesting point.......

"The Cambridge Diet VLCD (very low calorie diet) consists of shakes, soups and bars. It provides only 800 calories a day, and its high-protein, low-carbohydrate formula promotes a mild ketosis that protects lean tissue while burning fat. VLCDs should be medically supervised. Fluids and electrolytes should be monitored and there are other side effects such as severe constipation. The diet also neglects to teach a new way of eating and coping, and so lost weight is quickly regained. You must address those missing parts to make it work."

So at 450cals OP is doing it wrong anyway.
    The 450 is the UK version. It's different in the states.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Please eat more! Wouldn't you rather be fit and full than skinny and starving!?
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I ate 500 cals for breakfast......
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I ate 500 cals for breakfast......

I think this sums it up!
    Heading to breakfast now!
  • Lilaboo79
    Lilaboo79 Posts: 5
    Options
    wow ok :)

So the Cambridge has been around since 1960 and it is not a perfect diet but then look at Atkins, Dukan etc. There is one simple reason I am doing it, and as my CDC knows is i am doing it on the lowest step (440-500 Calories) for 1 month to kick start then I will slowly step up until I am at 1200 a day and work at it then.

Being as big as i was and am its hard to work out, gyms are scary, walking even in cold temperatures leaves you hot and sweating like an Eskimo in the dessert.

Trials have been done using patients at my doctors and although I am aware that this is not a fix, its a kick start to a solution. I have to change me in order to a loose more weight and b keep it off. So thank you all for your concern but I have researched it. Every CDC has to have done the diet and all of them tell you that you will have to work hard, readjust, up your calories slowly and exercise more until you find the right balance.

What I was more worried about was no matter what calorie intake you have say 1200, should you always exercise to be in a deficit so burn 1300 a day? or is there a balance. I am totally new to exercise and not even google could help me :)

Thanks all for your concern though :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

So the Cambridge has been around since 1960 and it is not a perfect diet but then look at Atkins, Dukan etc. There is one simple reason I am doing it, and as my CDC knows is i am doing it on the lowest step (440-500 Calories) for 1 month to kick start then I will slowly step up until I am at 1200 a day and work at it then.

Being as big as i was and am its hard to work out, gyms are scary, walking even in cold temperatures leaves you hot and sweating like an Eskimo in the dessert.

Trials have been done using patients at my doctors and although I am aware that this is not a fix, its a kick start to a solution. I have to change me in order to a loose more weight and b keep it off. So thank you all for your concern but I have researched it. Every CDC has to have done the diet and all of them tell you that you will have to work hard, readjust, up your calories slowly and exercise more until you find the right balance.

What I was more worried about was no matter what calorie intake you have say 1200, should you always exercise to be in a deficit so burn 1300 a day? or is there a balance. I am totally new to exercise and not even google could help me :)

You need to research your BMR and TDEE to understand fully but basically, BMR is basal metabolic rate - the amount of energy required for general bodily functions at complete rest - breathing, circulation, brain function etc. TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - how much energy is required by the body in your day to fuel all your activity on top of BMR and eating anything under TDEE will result in weightloss as the deficit of energy will be taken from fat or muscle in extreme deficits.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You will gain it back if you dont learn the right way to eat to maintain or to be healthy. i have had trouble losing weight for years, tried everything. even VLCDs. nothing worked until i learned my BMR, my TDEE and learned to lose weight using knowledge of how my body works. what you are on is a gimmick and not teaching you anything about your body or health. I apologize for saying this, and I truely hope you get healthy and happy, but using gimmicks to lose weight will result in failure because you have not been educated about how your body works. i am finding it very easy to lose weight now. slow but steady and never hungry. i am eating about 1700 cal a day. I never thought it would work, but i have been equipped with the knowledge, and knowledge is power. Read Dan's profile. It has the info you need to do it the right way. I would hope you would rather lose FAT and retain MUSCLE slowly, than lose weight fast and regain it later. You need to know your goal.
    Lose weight fast, lose more muscle than fat, and have deteriorating health, wreck your metabolism= keep doing what you are doing.
    Lose Fat, Keep Muscle, improve health= Eat more than your BMR, less than TDEE and make 40% of it Protein 30% fat and 30% carb, and you are golden.

Wish you the best. And all of us asking you to eat more are saying this from experience, and because we care about your health. But I do realize, that one can lead a horse to water, can't make 'em drink.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

I say this because I care and have been in your place before. They don't work. It's a rate person who loses all their weight on this type of diet and keeps it off.

At your weight it's just as easy to eat 1500-2000 calories and lose weight. I'm glad I did and I'll be eating this amount to keep losing weight. I've gone from a BMI of 48 to around 36 now. The lowest I ate was 1490 and I upped because I was miserable.

To exercise one doesn't need to go to a gym. You can walk. There are exercise DVDs. If you exercise you're going to be sweaty. That's what exercise is meant to do.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

We can help you lose the weight and maintain LBM while not feeling limited in what you can or cannot eat.
    If you stick with the Cambridge diet, going back to the original question, id say none!
    Dont work out at all since diet is 80% of losing weight.
    you arent eating even enough for basic vital organ function so working out would be pointless.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you're under a doctor's supervision while doing this I would ask them. I don't agree with VLCD (simply put they don't work long term) but your doctor is the one who went through a medical degree so ask them. If you're eating that little, working out is a bad, bad idea.

Excess skin will happen. To avoid it the best option is to weight lift and use the cream. To be able to successfully weight lift you need to be eating the right amount of calories. You aren't eating enough, so I wouldn't recommend it.

My doctor had a medical degree too, but I was at 230 (I'm 5'2") and she wanted me to get the lap band. A medical degree doesn't equal full knowledge unfortunately. Told her I'd do diet and exercise, thanks. Think what YOU did sounds great :)