StrongLifts 5x5 and running

Options
2»

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Options
    Firstly, I'm a fell runner that wants to gain strength, not a lifter that does a bit of running. But if you fit either profile and are/or are following a similar program to SL 5x5 I'd like to hear your opinions/experiences/advice please.

I'm starting out on the stronglifts program in an effort to build my all round strength, however I'm concerned on the impact it will have on my running. My long runs can be up to 20 miles, I'm a club runner and the summer races are coming thick and fast. Is it possible to combine such a squat intensive program with a busy summer of competetive running? My club mates think I'm mad for doing both but they don't do much strength work, if at all.

I'd be interested to hear from runners that manage to effectively do a similar program, how does it impact on your training/racing?

I'm also interested in hearing from others doing SL 5x5, can I do the program 2x a week rather than 3 if I think I need to concentrate more on the running for a particular week?

Thanks.

Building strength will actually probably help your running in the long term as well as decrease your risk of developing overuse injuries by supporting your knees, hips and low back with the added muscle tissue you will gain. You can run stronglifts 5x5 and run extensively but you will need to eat quite a bit extra in order to recover and to continue gaining strength. If you aren't eating or sleeping enough while training in this manner you will gradually acquire more and more fatigue and cellular damage and will eventually wind up injuring yourself or getting sick. A better program for a runner would be a block periodized lifting program in which volume and intensity are modulated inversely in a series of training blocks. This way you can continuously bank on the strength training adaptation curve while still allowing your body plenty of time to deload.