Protein. Minus the soy

Options
So I am looking for a good protein powder for my breakfast shakes.
The few that I have heard good things about have soy in them. I've recently been hearing a lot of negative things about a soy heavy diet.
Does anyone know of a low carb protein powder that does NOT have soy in it?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you have a good blender, you can add kale or spinach.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan? If not, get one with whey. The one I use (Dymatize Elite Whey) has a LITTLE bit of soybean oil, but very little, and for the flavor I like (Rich Chocolate) has 117 calories and 24 g of protein per scoop. I put it in a blender with fat free greek yogurt, a banana, some skim milk and a couple ice cubes, and it's delicious.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you ARE vegan, google "plantfusion," they have a veggie based, no-soy version
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have hypothyroidism and can't have soy products. I found whey protein, APC brand, with fewer carbs than most. If your not worried about carbs there are tons of non soy products to choose from. There is a store by me called The Fruitful Yield that sells protein powders like pea protein. I haven't tried them yet $$$. Whey protein is dairy. Ive discovered I may ave some lactose intolerence to cheese on this MFP adventure. However the whey protein doesn't negatively affect me. Good luck to you!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have hypothyroidism and can't have soy products. I found whey protein, APC brand, with fewer carbs than most. If your not worried about carbs there are tons of non soy products to choose from. There is a store by me called The Fruitful Yield that sells protein powders like pea protein. I haven't tried them yet $$$. Whey protein is dairy. Ive discovered I may ave some lactose intolerence to cheese on this MFP adventure. However the whey protein doesn't negatively affect me. Good luck to you!
    Pea protein by itself is pretty nasty in taste. I'd only use it as a blend with other protein sources such as brown rice and/or hemp protein powder. Regarding lactose intolerance and whey-based protein, most powders now use a higher quality protein such as Whey protein isolate which is virtually lactose free. Thus even those with severely sensitivity to lactose experience no issue with it as an ingredient.

My two protein powders are 100% Milk Protein Isolate in bulk from Truenutrition.com. You can custom blend your own protein powder and its far cheaper than the retail powders. I usually order 5 lbs at a time for $36. My other go to protein powder is Trutein from TruNutrition Sciences. Their CinnaBun (smells and tastes like the cinnamon dough of a cinnabun) and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup (a light Reese's PB cup taste) are the best tasting ones out there. You can request samples from their website!
  • jadesign19
    Options
    Pea protein by itself is pretty nasty in taste. I'd only use it as a blend with other protein sources such as brown rice and/or hemp protein powder. Regarding lactose intolerance and whey-based protein, most powders now use a higher quality protein such as Whey protein isolate which is virtually lactose free. Thus even those with severely sensitivity to lactose experience no issue with it as an ingredient.

My two protein powders are 100% Milk Protein Isolate in bulk from Truenutrition.com. You can custom blend your own protein powder and its far cheaper than the retail powders. I usually order 5 lbs at a time for $36. My other go to protein powder is Trutein from TruNutrition Sciences. Their CinnaBun (smells and tastes like the cinnamon dough of a cinnabun) and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup (a light Reese's PB cup taste) are the best tasting ones out there. You can request samples from their website!
    Just curious because the Cinnabon sounds delicious, what is the carb to fiber ratio if you know for a serving? Thanks for info!
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Here is the nutritional profile per serving of CinnaBun Trutein:
    Serving Size: 34g
    Servings per Container: 67 (5lbs)
    Calories: 120
    Calories from fat: 10
    Total Fat: 1g
    Saturated Fat: 0.5g
    Cholesterol: 20mg
    Sodium: 105mg
    Total Carbs: 5g
    Fiber: 2.5g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 24g
    Protease Engzymes: 100mg

Ingredients:
    Pure Undenatured & nonthermally-processed Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumen, Cross-flow Nanofiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate, Inulin, Beta-Glucan, Natural and Artificial flavors, Cinnamon, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Protease Enzymes, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin.

Its also important to note that Trutein is 40% Whey, 40% Casein, 20% Egg whites. They're the only company I know that fully discloses the protein source breadown and does not use proprietary labels - which I love because I feel sometimes we over pay for higher quality ingredients that are likely given in very small doses.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I use Prarie Naturals Organic Rice Protein in Cafe Caramel Flavour:

Nutrition Facts
    Per 30 g serving

Calories 110
    Fat 0 g
    Saturated 0 g + Trans 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 0 mg
    Potassium 0 mg
    Carbohydrate 3 g
    Fibre 2 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 24 g
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    I like that its Sprouted Brown Rice, but at 1.5lbs, $36 is very expensive! I can get 100% non-GMO brown rice concentrate for just over $5 a lb at a certain website.
  • jadesign19
    Options
    I like that its Sprouted Brown Rice, but at 1.5lbs, $36 is very expensive! I can get 100% non-GMO brown rice concentrate for just over $5 a lb at a certain website.
    Thanks do much!
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Just to clear up any possible confusion, I was referring to the Prairie Naturals product misskerouac mentioned as being very expensive for what you're getting. You can get Trutein 5lbs (67 serving) for $48 at several websites. I'd still order samples from the producer directly, though to try.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

may I ask for the website? I find it harder to find gluten free, dairy free, soy free protein powders here in Canada.
    does it taste good or like crap? lol, because I've tried some that taste like poo.This is the only one I've found that I can just add unsweeted coconut milk to and it tastes good.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Here is the nutritional profile per serving of CinnaBun Trutein:
    Serving Size: 34g
    Servings per Container: 67 (5lbs)
    Calories: 120
    Calories from fat: 10
    Total Fat: 1g
    Saturated Fat: 0.5g
    Cholesterol: 20mg
    Sodium: 105mg
    Total Carbs: 5g
    Fiber: 2.5g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 24g
    Protease Engzymes: 100mg

Ingredients:
    Pure Undenatured & nonthermally-processed Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumen, Cross-flow Nanofiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate, Inulin, Beta-Glucan, Natural and Artificial flavors, Cinnamon, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Protease Enzymes, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin.

Its also important to note that Trutein is 40% Whey, 40% Casein, 20% Egg whites. They're the only company I know that fully discloses the protein source breadown and does not use proprietary labels - which I love because I feel sometimes we over pay for higher quality ingredients that are likely given in very small doses.

LOVE trutein cinnabun.
  • 75yrsyoung
    75yrsyoung Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hemp protein