Emotional eating, Help!!!! Please!

Options
I was bulimic for a year in 2011-2012 and since, I have been on and off. This last week I have been bringing and purging multiple times again and my throat is hurting, my teeth are sensitive and my stomach is killing me and I feel sick! Before anyone tells me to go to the doctor, I already have. They didn't help me and I have been a few times and I won't go again.
I think I am an emotional eater, when I am eating, I feel like its not me, like something has taken over and I cant stop! I don't know what to do. Please can anyone help me?

Replies

• crazysuzy7
    Options
    I can't help I'm afraid but just thought I'd reply to let you know that I am in the same boat, although its been 9 years. I'm also trying to stop smoking too so things are pretty hard. if I can help in any way then let me know. For me just talking to someone who understands helps. I have tried the 3 meas 3 snacks thing, trying to eat no more than 4 hours apart. I managed it for a while but got very paranoid at the amount i was eating. This was before I found this site though so my plan as of tomorrow is 3 meals, 3 snacks, aim to eat regularly to avoid binges, try to stay with in calorie limit the site has set for me, pick up the pace at the gym and try to not obsess too much, cut myself some slack. x
  • hollyjon
    hollyjon Posts: 4
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat although I have been bulemic for a lot longer. I have been doing very well for the past couple of months, but it seems like if I eat one wrong thing, then it is all in the wind and I can't stop eating. Have found that if I really stick to the calories and try to eat really healthy, I do OK. Have even had a couple of days of when I are wrong and managed to go back on track. I think you just need to look at it as a journey. And when you are upset or anxious, take a step back and think about what you are eating. I have found that when I am feeling that way, I will take a walk or do a little exercising instead of turning to food.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that your doctor didn't help you! I'm so sorry that you're going through this, hun. I know you're sick of doctors at this point, but maybe look into a different one? If not, find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. What you're going through has more to do with psychology, self-image, and habits than something a medical doctor can fix with only a pill. You've recognized that you're still struggling with bulimia...it's a hard disease to work though, but you can do it!!! Please find yourself a therapist...they'll help you find out what's at the root of your bulimia and help you overcome your struggles. Because, in the end, bulimia is more a mental disease than a physical disease. If you truly feel like a therapist isn't the right way to go, please consider checking yourself into a recovery program. It's nothing to be ashamed of...it will save your life.

Much love & prayers heading your way. :flowerforyou: You can do this!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Check out the book Brain Over Binge. I'm still only partway through, but I'm liking it so far. Talks about a logical, rational approach to dealing w/bulimia and binge eating disorder.

I've kicked the worst of my binge habits, but I want to ensure they never come back.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know this must be hell for you. I'm sorry to say this but a (good and non-judgmental) doctor or social worker specializing in eating disorders is the best bet in terms of helping you stop this. this is a mental disease (found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, version 4) and is very hard to overcome without help.

you can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know this must be hell for you. I'm sorry to say this but a (good and non-judgmental) doctor or social worker specializing in eating disorders is the best bet in terms of helping you stop this. this is a mental disease (found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, version 4) and is very hard to overcome without help.

you can do this!! :flowerforyou:

Yes. If you're doctor didn't help you, well, he's not a very good doctor then. So you'd better find one who actually deserves the job. It's not your fault the doctor is a screw-up, but there's no sense in letting that destroy your life. Bulimia is a serious decease, so you need to help to beat it. Be nice to yourself and get help.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. While I've never experienced this myself, I can tell you that you are suffering and your doctor should help you. Please call a different doctor, or a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. There is a lot of help and you deserve someone to take the time to listen to you and help you through this.