Is it realistic to believe I can weigh what I did at 17?

Options
2»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    They also say a major reason we burn less as we age is we move less. It's avoidable.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They also say a major reason we burn less as we age is we move less. It's avoidable.

Yep, and that is the reason for the change in body composition over time. It is definitely avoidable.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Weight is such a tricky thing. We get hung up on it.

I weighed 116 lbs when i was 17. Since then, i've had 7 pregnancies, gotten sedentary, worked 60 hours weeks at a desk job... blah, blah, blah. I'm 43. Currently i weigh 157 pounds. But when i was 17, i wore a size 4, and now i'm in a size 6. I think if i weighed 116, or even 125, i'd look scary.

Be comfortable with your body, be healthy, and don't worry about the scale so much.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Weight is such a tricky thing. We get hung up on it.

I weighed 116 lbs when i was 17. Since then, i've had 7 pregnancies, gotten sedentary, worked 60 hours weeks at a desk job... blah, blah, blah. I'm 43. Currently i weigh 157 pounds. But when i was 17, i wore a size 4, and now i'm in a size 6. I think if i weighed 116, or even 125, i'd look scary.

Be comfortable with your body, be healthy, and don't worry about the scale so much.
    Great words of advice, thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no... well yes, it is, but wouldnt you rather be healthy?! I am probably the same SIZE as i was when i was 17, but i am abut 10lbs heavier cos i have a bit of muscle going on now!!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible. My goal is also a weight I had as a teen but all that really means is that I was a healthy weigh for my height back then. What I don't think is realistic is to think the weight will look the same on me now as it did then for one as we age our skin isn't as tight but also we just carry a bit more body fat percentage and unless we take up a career as a body builder and that's not really on my agenda.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What do you think? I'm almost 49 and wondering if it's realistic to think I can get back to the weight I was when I was 17...

I'm 48 and weight less now and am in better shape than when I was 17.
    It has not been easy. But totally worth it.
    Good luck!
  • DJDonadic
    DJDonadic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All things are possible and attainable. Keep your eyes on the prize. Enjoy yourself on the journey to your goal. That's half the fun. Regarding your goal, you are almost half way there. You have to believe in yourself and know that you are not alone on the journey. You can do!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Really? Who cares about what you were at 17 (weight or otherwise). Perhaps it's best to become the best 49 year old you can be rather than looking backwards.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I think its a bit unrealistic - I am/was similar to yourself - at 17 I'd have weighed 120lbs but I'd look ridiculous if I was that weight now at 43 ! I know myself I would and I think you have to be realistic and aim for something like 135 e.g
    Women actually can look much older if they're too skinny as they get older - I don't know what frame size you are or if you feel you are overweight at your current weight - everyone is different and the thing we need to work on is eating healthier and getting fitter to promote longer lives :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Were you in good shape then and skinny? I've had 4 babies since, and was in good shape then, so of course my hips aren't going to move in and all that. I look better than I did in my 30's and 40's. But, you know, I feel as good as I did then once I get my arthritis going in the morning! I'm eating healthier, and exercising regularly, so I've feeling better than a long time. Generally, you can build muscle until you hit somewhere in the upper 60's-early to mid 70's. My oldest daughter weighs less than she did at 16, but she's 27 and never had kids. .Now should I weigh what I did when I was 17? According to my body fat %, no. I wouldn't have a healthy weight. Check all the tools out here and see what you think your new you should weigh! http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

I'm betting I could fit into my 20 yr old wedding dress. 50 yr old lady instead of a healthy, muscular 17 yr old that could eat 3500-4000 calories a day and stay thin. Yep, not the same people.
  • secretbutterfly98
    secretbutterfly98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My saying is that anything is possible. You do have to be realistic though and realize that your body has changed and developed so you might not get back to that exact weight.... I would continue to shoot for the goal though and accept what ever happens whether you make it or not... Never give up without trying....
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I weighed 185 when I graduated high school 30 years ago.

I'll be 48 soon, and I weigh 193.6 right now. Hitting 185 isn't a goal for me. I have to agree with others, why target the number, go for healthy.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Same dress size, maybe. Lots of cardio and lifting heavy.
    Same weight? Maybe not.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    anything is possible. however as we age, it becomes more difficult because we are losing muscle so our metabolism lowers & not to mention that on menopause we lose estrogen so hence the weight gain & that's the reality that we need to accept. however that doesn't mean that you will never be in the best shape of your life. sure you may not weigh the same as when you're young but you can definitely look incredible at a weight that your body is comfortable with.

i'm only 33 & the lowest weight that I've ever been when I was a teenager was at 50kilos or 110 pounds for you back when I was 19 but at that time i was under the influence of diet pills, drugs plus ED but i was something like 30" waist & never went below size 6. now at this age, i weigh 54.2 (120 pounds) but has 26" waist & is at size 2, the same size when I was 12 years old. size matters to me the most more than the weight because now i have more muscle whereas before i was the classic skinny fat.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals, I looked healthy at 17 and was in great shape, fit into size 7's , sometimes 6's. I want to get into a size 6 again and think I would look great at that size!! I'm really short so a size 6 is not too skinny for me. It's not so much the weight as it is the size I want to attain again. I know I would feel so much better about myself if I could do this, so I'm going to try my best and stick to the plan and see what happens. My hubby is away taking care of his dad and will be back on Thanksgiving. My first goal is to lose 15 pounds by the time he comes back, surely that is attainable for me with months to go. Thank you for all of the support and advice, I really appreciate it!
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I"d love to be at my teenage weight but wont ever happen. My body is just different now...

I go by body measuements. If I can get back to a 25-26inch waist (when I was at my smallest), I'll be thrilled.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know that for me, my high school weight is just not going to happen. I have to remind myself that I was not a healthy eater during those years either. I never ate breakfast, had cookies for lunch and maybe a fast food burger for dinner.