about to go lift weights and was wondering...

Options

Replies

• DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    you will NOT get bulky. I am 5'2" and now 110 - trying to put muscle on. Ive been lifting VERY heavy the past 3-4 weeks and its finally starting to show. I do cardio intervals in between sets.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    <
    lift heavy 3 series of 6 reps and as you can see, not bulky.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Low weight w/high reps for fear of bulking responses baffle me. Please don't follow this idea. I've found lifting as much as I can for 6-8 reps yield better results.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps
    This is best for most situations. I agree, go with the lighter weight, and lift it more times. Unless you want to get bulky...

^^ Not true...at all. You will not get bulky from lifting heavy. =/ Lift as heavy as you can. If you make it to 12 reps and could go for more reps then bump up the weight.

Bulk requires testosterone. Most women don't have as much as men, therefore, not as much bulky muscles. Also, the fat on your arms won't go away with weight lifting. To think you need to adjust your weights just for the fat on your arms sounds suspiciously like 'spot reduction". The fat goes away with calorie burn and OVERALL fat/weight loss. The weight lifting strengthens and eventually builds muscle. As fat is burned away, muscle is more easily visible. Example, everybody has six pack abs, it's just that some people have a layer of fat on top, and the muscles aren't strong. Lose fat, get strong, and abs improve.

NO NO NO!! NOT TRYING TO SPOT REDUCE lol. I know that isn't possible. What I want to do is work on the strength in my arms to help burn more calories during the day because that's what muscle does right? I want to build muscle in my arms so I can get down on the ground and do more than one half of a push up. I did ROTC in high school and was able to do 40 push ups in a minute.. now.. :( can't even do one. of course that was almost 10 years ago lol But I enjoyed doing the push ups so that's what I want to do.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Start with incline pushups (against the wall), then "girlie" pushups (on your knees), then "real" pushups.
    Also work your legs & butt: squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc. Those muscles are even bigger...so bigger burn.

And please don't think you'll get bulky. I've gone from a tight size 10 to a loose size 6. Not bulky!!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps
    This is best for most situations. I agree, go with the lighter weight, and lift it more times. Unless you want to get bulky...

This is a joke, right? O.o

WOMEN CAN'T GET BULKY!!! We don't have enough testosterone. We have just enough of that to make us want our men now and then... and some don't even have enough for THAT! :laugh:

OP: use the highest weight you're comfortable with and can maintain good form with. Do fewer reps, higher weight.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing. I just started with a trainer, and I am using 15 lb dumbbells for some things. When I am using a machine, it is more likely to be 25-45 lbs, depending on the muscle group/motion. When doing 3 sets of 15 reps, these weights are arm-shakingly challenging right now.
  • Stixx28
    Stixx28 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thats Right.

Do weights that will almost fail after 10 reps. 3 sets. After a few weeks adjust weights as you strengthen. Lean toward heavy less reps.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing a 2 for 1 deal with training, so it is a friend and I working out together with a trainer. So, I will do 15 reps of weight training, then do lunges or some other move while my friend lifts weights... then we switch until we have both done 3 reps of each. I think this allows the weight to be higher, because those muscles get a good break before they are used again. It also uses the down time to get things done.
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    You will NOT bulk up unless you lift very heavy weights for many hours a day and take tons of supplements. That said, the size of your weights are going to change with each exercise. The weights I use for tricep extensions, bicep curls, shoulder presses and chest presses are vastly different. You're not going to grab one set of weights and do everything with them!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

False. Women very rarely bulk. Lift what is heavy for you while maintaining good form. Also are you looking for stregth or endurance.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Start with incline pushups (against the wall), then "girlie" pushups (on your knees), then "real" pushups.
    Also work your legs & butt: squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc. Those muscles are even bigger...so bigger burn.

And please don't think you'll get bulky. I've gone from a tight size 10 to a loose size 6. Not bulky!!

You look amazing, Dixie!

And thanks for all the responses in this thread. As a cardio/swimmer, I have just added lifting to my routine and I will take all the advice I can get, too. I've been doing about 2 or 3 sets of 12 reps, but it sounds like I could definitely increase my weight and do less reps and get a shorter workout. I feel like it takes me over an hour to do the full cycle of warm-up, lift, rest b/t, cool down. And I only rest for about 30s.
  • Valkira
    Valkira Posts: 7
    Options
    Definitely start with 15lbs. Muscle burns fat and don't worry about bulking up. Women have way less testosterone than men. Lifting heavy is going to slim you by burning fat and building those nice long arms and shoulders. You'll get better definition faster. However, make sure you perform each exercise correctly, concentrate on each rep and when it gets tough breathe and keep pushing. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

FAIL.

She is a female, presumably at a deficit and presumably not on steroids. She will NOT get bulky.

OP: for muscle 'definition' the most effective way is high weights, low reps. For muscle endurance, its low weights high reps. Buy the New Rules of Lifting for Women - follow their program. You will need more than one weight however as different muscles have naturally different strengths (e.g. you can lift more doing bicep curls than shoulder raises)
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    <---- also lifts heavy weights and not bulky ^.^

I say try the 30lb db for deadlifts, bent over rows and concentrated curls. Even if you get 3 reps, try for more the next set!
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I will pick up the book tomorrow and my bf will give me a set of 20lb weights on Thursday. I will just do the 15lb till then. Don't want to do too much on my body. Not until I learn how to learn to lift correctly
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    WELL IM GLAD I HAVE MORE TESTOTERONE THAN OTHER WOMEN BCZ I WZ BORN A LIL DIFFERENT LOL! I BULK UP EASILY. IT ALSO MAINTAINS SO I KNOW ITZ NT WATER WEIGHT. I HAVE MAINTAINED MY MUSCULAR PHYSIQUE FOR OVER A YEAR WITHOUT LIFTING WEIGHTS. MY PROTEIN IS ALSO HIGH @ 158 GRAMS A DAY. I LUV IT!!!!! I HAVE DA CUTS N MY THIGHS & EVERYTHING
  • Valkira
    Valkira Posts: 7
    Options
    low weight high reps

FAIL.

She is a female, presumably at a deficit and presumably not on steroids. She will NOT get bulky.

OP: for muscle 'definition' the most effective way is high weights, low reps. For muscle endurance, its low weights high reps. Buy the New Rules of Lifting for Women - follow their program. You will need more than one weight however as different muscles have naturally different strengths (e.g. you can lift more doing bicep curls than shoulder raises)

Don't forget Lou's Abs book too. By incorporating both books and following the schedule I am able to lift more than my body weight of 155lbs. I am 5'9" and size 6. to some it may sound like big weight but muscle weighs more and fits better in all the right places.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    lift heavy. i hate retarded women who say it will make you big and muscular... Such nonsense. No experience. Lifting heavier will make you lose fat faster. FACT.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

So not true! You will not get bulky. I hate this myth.

I agree. Women don`t bulk up like men. They don`t have the hormones to do so.

to do so

WAs this a joke??

Anywho - scroll through the forums of lifting heavy for women -- there are tons and it will debunk all your myths about getting big and bulky and the high reps vs low reps drama central

Depending at where you are at combine a nice routine of lifting and cardio :)

Don't be afraid to lift those weights -- I"m deadlifting 265 and in noooo way am I big. I'm on a calorie deficit. Takes a looooong time to build muscle but strength on the other hand