best light exercise to lose the weight

Options
lynz4589
lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
sorry if this has been asked before!

About 10 weeks ago I had an accident and twisted my knee cap, on a knee I already have no cartlidge for and chrondomalsia from the age of 13. I have seen a consultant and been told no gym, Im allowed to walk and swim and a small amount of rowing at best, Im not even allowed to use stairs in work! Im due to see a knee surgeon in the next few months (on a waiting list)

In the meantime Ive been swimming for 3 nights a week and an hour at a time, I realise this probably isnt enough but our pool closes 2 nights a week to the public and I work late night 1 night a week so I am limited. I just dont feel the swimming is enough I dont get much satisfaction from it anymore either and would give anything to be on the crosstrainer and burning proper sweat!

To make matters worse the scale just isnt moving! Ive toned up through swimming which is great but i need to see physical results to keep me actively wanting to go.

Any thoughts or anyone been through something similar would love the help!!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Seated lifting.
    Curls, flys, military presses, bench press and crunches.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking at a brisk pace is a great, low impact way to burn calories. I enjoy rowing too.

Does cycling bother your knee?
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements and use that to monitor your progress along with the scale. If you are getting bored with swimming try perfecting a different stroke...maybe butterfly, backstroke or breast stroke. Do upper body lifts...for cardio that will make you sweat a lot, try putting on some boxing gloves and hitting the bag...heavy bag or speed bag...you will sweat.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies so far. I have been measuring as well but zero results from that so far. I usually measure about once a month, maybe thats too often? I do walk about 30 or 40 mins a day but wouldnt be brisk, maybe 10 mins of brisk walking the remaining would be average speed, I do get sore fairly quickly and I have a tendon sticking out of the front of my knee so cant even kneel or bend the knee much. Ive tried changing the swimming routine and it does work, Ive really toned up you can see shape around my stomach now so had hoped that meant the scale would move but it hasnt :(

I love boxing so thats definitely something to look into! I have a bike (needs fixed up but would be happy to do it) been scared about using it but yes its something I have planned to fix up over the next week or two. Also considering tennis as I used to love that but not sure what the doctor would think of it. In the meantime would upping my swimming intake make much of a difference if I added an extra hour a week? I read swimming isnt all that great for calorie burn because its low impact and harder to predict?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    pushing yourself away from the table :)

Honestly....you have been given a lot of good suggestions but diet is 80 % of weight loss
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doing what you can with your limited mobility, I agree you should also try biking, if you can do it without knee pain.. I dont think tennis would be good for your knee, Swimming is an awesome workout and seems to be working well for you if you can see and feel results. The scale is not always the best measurement of this read this and you will see what I mean
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/635137-body-fat-vs-weight-photo-included

good luck with your knee and getting healthy and changeing your lifestyle
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My first thought was also seated or lying down weight training. I'm thinking on my feet here, so sorry if this is a bad idea but: What if you lowered the weights and did higher numbers of reps? You could work on muscular endurance, get a longer workout, and I bet that would add a little cardio to the lifting session. Just a though.

I have knee problems that like to flare up after hard running and/or lifting. Light spinning on a stationary bike is usually what calms my knees down and gets them feeling better. Not sure if that's your answer, but it may be worth a try.

I wish you success, and I hope things go well when you make it to your doctor visits.