What are your 10 favorite weight training moves?

Options
I would like to start doing strength training. I do not have a lot of time so I am looking for some suggestions on about 10 moves that are the best for all around strength training. I guess I would like to find moves that focus on multiple muscles groups at once so that they are efficient. Any thoughts guys?

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    planks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    push ups!
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I'm not gonna name 10....but as far as weight training is concerned....

Squats are great, even if you are using dumbells, barbells or a machine.... it really is just about an all-body workout. Alot of people hate them, cause its ackward at first. You don't want to injure yourself. I would suggest getting some instruction first and keep the weight low. At the very least, read up on squats and learn good form and technique.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    jump squats, lunges with bicep and tricep work, push ups, mountain climbers, pike crunches, bicycle crunches, pull ups (can't do these haha, but these are really good; going to have to practice), the moving plank move (don't know what it's called; traveling plank?) where you move your arms (up and down position) while in plank
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    On demand has some great moves in there 10 minute sections. That will help you get the correct form. It is under the excercise portion. Good luck. Tricep kick backs rock.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    wide leg squat and shoulder press together
    closed leg squat and lateral raise

pushups
    bicep curls/hammer curls
    tricep kickbacks/french curls
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    Push-ups and squats are the best all around, at least I think they are:bigsmile:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Push-ups and squats are the best all around, at least I think they are:bigsmile:

I agree, pushups dont' get the credit they deserve. And the best part about them....ITS FREE!! You can wide-arm pushups, diamond-hand pushups, and elevated/inclined pushups with some stairs or your couch. You can really concentrate on upper muscle groups too. You can stagger your reps and sets. I like to use a deck of cards to alternate my pushup reps/sets. Nice little trick.

Squats are awesome, but it really took me a good month to get good form and feel confident with some heavier weight. But man, it sure does kick my *kitten*.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Shoulder press-all variations
    push ups-can't do due to injury-dang it! There are so many variations!
    Tricep Kickbacks
    Squats-all the variations
    Wall Sitting
    Roman Deadlift
    Lunge-all the variations,esp around the clock
    Bicep Curls-all variations:bigsmile:
    Arnold Press-180 degrees