can you eat carbs and lose weight?

Options
I don't really understand what to eat! some people say don't eat carbs and other say eat?
and i don't mean fruits but bread, pasta cereal ...

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs all the time.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can't get away from carbs, I try to keep mine low, and when I eat something with carbs I pop a vitamin called Dieters
    Choice for Carb Control, it's supposed to keep the carbs from being absorbed into the body.

Try to eat lean meats; ground turkey, chicken, fish.

Fruits & veggies

Yogurt, pistachio's

If I eat a sandwich; I make it flat bread,( no bologna, pepperoni etc.-processed meats)
    There's some great veggie burgers out there.

Veggie pizza

Feel free to check out my diary it's open.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what to eat! some people say don't eat carbs and other say eat?

Yes
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are no hard and fast rules except to lose weight you need to create a caloric deficit.

Carbs contain calories (1 g carbs = 3.75 cal). Protein contains calories (1 g protein = 4 cal). Some people believe the way to go is low carb, high protein; some don't. Some people experience mood swings when cutting back drastically on carbs.

In the end it's all down to calories. (There have been studies that suggest there is less lean muscle mass lost when carbs are reduced (40% vs 55% of dailycalories) and protein increased correspondingly)
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The main job of a carbohydrate is to provide protein sparing energy, if you don't eat enough carbs your body will use the protein your muscles need for repair and growth for energy leading to muscle wasting. You want to get your carbs from nutrient dense sources like whole grains and fruits, and stay away from carbs from white flours as these really don't have anything your body needs. Even though you need carbs you don't want to overdo them, like anything else eating more than your body needs will not help you.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Yes

Same.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I'd probably die without carbs! I love whole wheat pasta, whole wheat wraps, breads...

My answer is yes, you can lose weight with carbs, just eat the good ones:)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lost 37 pounds eating carbs!!!
  • monasul
    monasul Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not only can I, but I must. I dropped my carbs down and my weight loss stalled. Increased the carbs and weight started falling off again. Most days I eat some sort of grain or bread 2-3 meals.
  • monasul
    Options
    I lost 37 pounds eating carbs!!!

woow thats great! defiantly going to eat carbs now! :)
  • monasul
    Options
    Not only can I, but I must. I dropped my carbs down and my weight loss stalled. Increased the carbs and weight started falling off again. Most days I eat some sort of grain or bread 2-3 meals.

i have to eat carbs! Thanks for the info! :)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I certainly do! But I make healthy carb choices - all natural whole wheat/grain pastas and breads and brown rice and limit to one serving. I also eat lots of potatoes. Those are my favorite snack!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH all this info is contradicting itself all the time, eat carb, dont eat them eat proteins dont eat too much protein, Ive been avoided carbs from pasta for weeks now, When i go out to eat ive totally stopped eating pasta, you know stuff like lasanga and even just tomato based sauces.Ive also stopped eating pizza mainly coz it seems so high in cals too but have stopped eating baked beans which i used to really like. Sometimes I feel like i cant eat anyhting but meat and veg all day long, I know its impossible to avoid them all togther coz there in fruit and why should i give up my healthy fruit, so what it has sugar and carbs its natural. If i cant eat natural what the hell am i going to eat.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

You not only can, but should, unless you plan to eliminate bread, pasta, cereal, etc. from your diet forever. Eat standard full sized servings of the full range of foods as you lose the weight, limiting only the total number of servings as needed to balance your diet and stay within your calorie budget, and you will have retrained your eyes and stomach to recognize and be satisfied with normal servings of "real food" by the time you reach maintenance. Portion control is essential to successful maintenance and is a skill best learned as the weight is coming off. That's when your enthusiasm and resolve are at their highest.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The main job of a carbohydrate is to provide protein sparing energy, if you don't eat enough carbs your body will use the protein your muscles need for repair and growth for energy leading to muscle wasting. You want to get your carbs from nutrient dense sources like whole grains and fruits, and stay away from carbs from white flours as these really don't have anything your body needs. Even though you need carbs you don't want to overdo them, like anything else eating more than your body needs will not help you.

Sigh. So much incorrect and misinformation in one paragraph.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. But my body doesn't like them...I honestly believe that is one of the reasons I developed T2....all those years of eating that stuff in excess. Now I have no choice but to limit them. I guess if you can take something positive out of diabetes, that would be it. Makes it easier for me to lose weight. I still eat carbs, but a much lower amount.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Study up on low glucose eating. Of course you can have carbs - low glycemic carbs and occasional high GI. A 40/30/30 seems to work best for most folks.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything and lose weight. I do not eat clean I try to eat healthier but I do not always succeed in that either, as long as you can control your portion sizes and learn to measure things, you can lose weight. Your body needs good carbs for brain function. I refuse to deprive myself, it's a life style change and if I deprive myself of things I won't stick with it. I've lost 120lbs just by moderation and portion control. I have tried to deprive myself and it didn't work for me. I have learned that I can eat what I want as long as I count it into my day.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's all about moderation.