Not enough calories??

sareebellum
sareebellum Posts: 13 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
My mom got me on this website to track my calories because she was worried about my nutrition. I always thought I went over with my calories because I LOVE junk food. The more I track my food, the more it tells me I need to eat more... but I don't feel like I'm losing any weight. Is there something I can eat to use up some calories that is healthy so my body doesn't start to "starve"?? It feels good to work out, but if it's going to throw my body off, I just need to find something to balance it out... Any suggestions?

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Eat some fruit...veggies,,pnut butter in moderation.....have protein drink its tons of healthy choices you just have to choose what you like:flowerforyou:
  • sareebellum
    I've been meaning to drink more protein shakes... I bought a huge thing of powder to make drinks out of. I like the chocolate flavored one!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    how many calories you eat is important, but it's also important to pay attention to what kind of calories you eat. If you eat a lot of junk food, you may be not losing any weight because you're intaking a lot of fat and sugars. Even if you're eating a low number of calories, that fat and sugar will quickly add up. go for fruits and vegetables, especially things like grapefruit, watermelon, carrots, etc. Also, carbs are good before your work out because they'll give you calories, as well as energy while you exercise. Just keep moderation in mind (I'm a carbaholic, so it's very easy for me to eat too much pasta or bread!)
    good luck!
  • sareebellum
    I'll admit I eat junk food, but I work out when I can to balance it out. It just doesn't seem right that I should have to eat back those calories from eating junk food just to meet the calories goal every day
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    how many calories you eat is important, but it's also important to pay attention to what kind of calories you eat. If you eat a lot of junk food, you may be not losing any weight because you're intaking a lot of fat and sugars. Even if you're eating a low number of calories, that fat and sugar will quickly add up.

I disagree, no disrespect :flowerforyou: A calorie is a calorie. You could eat junk food only and still lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit from your BMI. However, those calories are weak in nutrition, and will make it harder for you to function (digestion issues, lack of sleep, tired, hunger pains, headaches, illnesses, etc) If you are working out, even more reason to eat healthy, your body needs help in recovering from the "trama" you are giving it.

I also drink protein shakes (add a spoonfull of peanut butter to that chocolate..mmmm), popcorn, fruits, vitamuffins (love them) oatmeal, nuts and yogurt. Nuts have a lot of calories, but are very good calories for you, so if you are not hungry, popping a handful will help you hit your calorie goal without much effort.

Hope this helps! :bigsmile:
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    If you are close to your wieght that you want to be at it will take longer to get to it. Also I did take a look at your food diary and you should really rethink how you are eatting. You should really get more fruits and vege's and start your day with a good breakfast. Try and have 3 meals and atleast 1 or 2 snacks. Yes calories are important but also the nutrients that we put into our body. If you are not getting the nutrients that your brain says it should be getting then your brain will keep teling you to eat the junk that is out there until you get the nutrients it needs to help your body to function the way it should function. Yes I even like to have junk food myself, but there is a time and a place for it. Also the key to all of this is moderation. Also your total cal. intake should never go below 1200 cals in a day and that even includes excercise.
  • sareebellum
    That does help... I love peanut butter but never thought of putting it in my shakes!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    I also took a look at your food diary, and your habits do need some changing and work (but we all need help :laugh: ) The first thing you should really work on is getting a good breakfast in you. you should eat at least 300 calories first thing in the AM bc its what is going to kick start your metabolism so it can burn those calories for you all day. After you sleep for so long, it kind of goes into hibernation, which is why its so super important!
  • sareebellum
    Yeah, I'm just such a picky eater that it's hard for me to eat anything healthy. I don't like onions and bellpeppers and stuff in my food, and I don't eat any seafood and hardly any meat. So I just try to exercise when I can!
  • nali_12
    nali_12 Posts: 172 Member
    check out the abs diet recipes online (you can just google it). they have a ton of smoothie recipes that will help you get some nutrtitious food and calories and taste yummy. Plus, I've found it's always easier to sip down 200 or so calories in a drink then eating sometimes. Maybe just try incorporating some new healthy foods in your diet and maybe you'll start to like them!
  • sareebellum
    That's a really good idea... I need to make some shakes other than just protein shakes, so I'll start looking into some recipes for different smoothies and shakes
This discussion has been closed.