Workout ideas with knee injury

Options
Wouga
Wouga Posts: 145 Member
Hi everyone! I'm hoping you can help me out, 4 days ago while doing my usual Wednesday cardio workout I managed to most likely tear my meniscus (I say most likely because I'm still waiting for the MRI and the docs are telling me most likely). I knew there was a reason I didn't like my cardio days...

Anyways, I'm now pretty immobile. I cannot bear weight on my right leg, I can't even straighten my right leg, and the lack of mobility/exercise is drivin me crazy! I am going to try the pool today and see if I can swim yet, I know riding my bike is still out due to my lack of leg bending/straightening ability. Ya guys have any ideas of what I can do for a good workout without using my legs? The pool, if I can manage it, is not accessible to me on a daily basis so I'd need things I can do in the home. I really miss my workouts!

Replies

• Wouga
    Options
    Nobody? :(
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Can you do some upper body weight training? If you have access to a gym, often they will have a hand/arm type of bike there. I don't know the name of the equipment but it is usually on a table and you sit in a chair to crank it. I would suggest some ab exercises but don't know if you can get down on the floor.

I am a little over two weeks out from having surgery to clean up a torn meniscus and some wear and tear due to arthritis. I wish you all the best and hope you can get some relief from the pain soon. It is no fun to deal with! I'm guessing you are resting and icing your knee while waiting for the results of the MRI.:flowerforyou: If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Take care of yourself!
  • camelid2
    camelid2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not the most fun option, but if you have to go to physical therapy, they will give you loooong lists of things to do every 1-2 days. I have patellar tendonitis in one knee and have about 4 pages of exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles that help stabilize the knee as well as lots of stretching for daily workouts and have then added back in regular exercise as my knee permits. Good luck with recovery!
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Seated boxing workout....if you have pads and someone you can punch at, otherwise grab some dumbells or whatever and air box???
  • Wouga
    Options
    Seated boxing workout....if you have pads and someone you can punch at, otherwise grab some dumbells or whatever and air box???

That actually sounds fun! I wonder if my husband wants to be my punching bag. :)

I have to say I'm not looking forward to the physical therapy/rehab portion of this, I tore my ACL in this same knee 2 years ago and got so depressed about it I packed on weight from inactivity. So I'm trying desperately to prevent that from happening again this time around.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!