Heart rate monitors

Options
Hi
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good heart rate monitor??
I want to use it in the gym and it to record heart rate, Cals burned etc
Thanks
:)

Replies

• Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and love it. It gives me everything I need, cals burned, "time in zone," mins spent working out, stores every workout in an individual file, and can tell me how many calories I've burned since I first strapped it on (it probably does more then that even, but that's what I primarily look at). Also it's comfy, I don't even feel the band (unless I've lost enough inches for it to be loose and then it's a simple tightening of the band).
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just recently purchased the Polar FT60 and it is WONDERFUL. It does an initial fitness test based on your age/sex/weight/hr and then structures a work out plan for you so that you're working the right amount of time in each fitness zone. It makes a huge difference in calculating how many calories I've burned at the gym! AND if you are using any fitness equipment like a treadmill or elliptical that uses Polar technology (and a lot of them do) then it syncs with your machine so that you don't have to hold on to the handles in order to record your hr. A little pricey but WELL worth it! Good luck!
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) awh man they both sound good, hehe I'm so indecisive!!
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4, and I LOVE it. It really helps motivate me to step up my workout.
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    PolarFT4
    Soft strap easy to work.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    polar ft 40. love it and its white!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7. Pricier than the FT4. And I can't honestly say I use the extra features. An FT4 would have been fine for me. Definitely stick to Polar since it syncs with most gym machines.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use polar FT7
    '
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7, I've had mine for months now and never a problem. It's easy to use, best $70 ever spent!!!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 and I love it. I was going to buy the FT7 but decided I didn't need it. I do manual input on MFP anyway. I wear mine swimming, chopping wood, hiking. It's a great piece of kit. :wink:
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 here, too. LOVE IT. Looked at the FT7 but I didn't need the extra features for the difference in cost :).
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I'm on the market for one as well, and my only real concern with the Polar ones is that they're MASSIVE! I don't typically wear watches or bracelets of any kind, and i don't know if i'd be able to get comfortable working out with a satellite dish on my wrist. will they work if i leave it in my pocket and just use the chest strap, or are there sensors in the watch itself that I need to account for?
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 310 for running and on my bike. It's so versatile. Can use it for just about anything.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I'm on the market for one as well, and my only real concern with the Polar ones is that they're MASSIVE! I don't typically wear watches or bracelets of any kind, and i don't know if i'd be able to get comfortable working out with a satellite dish on my wrist. will they work if i leave it in my pocket and just use the chest strap, or are there sensors in the watch itself that I need to account for?

You could put it in your pocket and it should work. It goes off the chest strap sensors and transmits to the watch. The watch does not have an sensors. :)

However, if you get the female models they aren't too bad and the materials are really light weight. They look heavy, but aren't at all. I bet you wouldn't notice it if you made sure it was the right tightness and wore it for a bit to get used to it :)

To the OP: LOVE my Polar! I have an FT7. :)
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This---->
    Hi! I just recently purchased the Polar FT60 and it is WONDERFUL. It does an initial fitness test based on your age/sex/weight/hr and then structures a work out plan for you so that you're working the right amount of time in each fitness zone. It makes a huge difference in calculating how many calories I've burned at the gym! AND if you are using any fitness equipment like a treadmill or elliptical that uses Polar technology (and a lot of them do) then it syncs with your machine so that you don't have to hold on to the handles in order to record your hr. A little pricey but WELL worth it! Good luck!

I couldn't have said it better. :)
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well at least everyone agrees polar are good!!
    I'm only going to be using it on treadmill etc, just want to try improve my fitness/distance/speed
    And know calories!!
    One that linked to the machines would be good but what happens outside??
    Thanks
  • NittanyLion95
    Options
    Bump
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: polar ft60? is what i use wurks good
  • buryingluck
    Options
    I have a cheap unbranded one, haven't used it yet. It cost me £8, so it was very inexpnsive so I realise it won't be fully accurate, do you reckon it will be okay to give me a rough idea? Debating investing in a Polar one if not!
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just bought a polar ft4 but haven't had chance to try it yet. Tomorrow will be my first time when I spin.