Need advice about how to look lean and not "muscle-y"

lrsteins
lrsteins Posts: 7
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!

I have been focusing on cardio lately because when I would go the gym, I'd mainly use the weightlifting machines and go on an elliptical for about 10 minutes or so. Since fitting in the gym is getting harder as I'm preparing to go back to school, I've been going on my treadmill at home for an hour or so each night, putting it on a high incline with a brisk speed of 3.5 to 4.5 mph.

I like being able to burn a fair amount of calories (that's why I put it on the high incline). But, I feel like my calf muscles are getting huge!!!!! Will they eventually "even out"?

I've been trying to add things like push-ups, crunches, lunges, lifting hand weights, etc. into my workout routine. I have a jump rope too but I'm afraid that it will hurt my calves. I want to get fit, but I still want to maintain some womanly curves and not look like a bodybuilder.

What advice do you have to get a toned look without building too much muscle? What should I do to reduce the strain on my calves when I go on the treadmill (they hurt today!)? How can I mix up my workout routine?

Thank you!

Replies

This discussion has been closed.